We propose a compact dual-band MIMO antenna for GSM 1800 MHz and WLAN applications. A novel single branch dual band antenna consisting of a quarter annular ring and an inverted U-shaped strip is designed by decreasing the electromagnetic coupling between higher order modes of an annular ring ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna, and a simple technique of slots and I and L-shaped stubs protruding from ground plane is employed to achieve high isolation. S11 < -10 dB over 1.704-1.934 GHz and 5.66-6.25 GHz frequency range and mutual coupling S12 < -20 dB and < -28 dB over the two bands are achieved. The radiation pattern, envelope correlation coefficient (ECC), total active reflection coefficient (TARC), diversity gain (DG), and mean effective gain (MEG) conform to MIMO specifications. The prototype antenna is fabricated on a 0.244λ0 × 0.17λ0 FR4 substrate, where λ0 is the free-space wavelength at 1.7 GHz. The antenna offers stable radiation patterns. The antenna is compact, simple to design, easy to fabricate, and low in cost. These characteristics depict the suitability of this antenna for portable wireless devices.
Mahadu Annarao Trimukhe,
Shubhangi Mangesh Verulkar,
Rajiv Kumar Gupta,
"Dual Band MIMO Antenna with High Isolation for GSM and WLAN Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 189-198, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23060104
1. Jensen, M. A. and J. W. Wallace, "A review of antennas and propagation for MIMO wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2810-2824, November 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.835272
2. Zhao, L. and K. L. Wu, "A dual-band coupled resonator decoupling network for two coupled antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 7, 2843-2850, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2421973
3. Nadeem, I. and D. Y. Choi, "Study on mutual coupling reduction technique for MIMO antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 563-586, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2885558
4. Chouhan, S., D. K. Panda, M. Gupta, and S. Singhal, "Multiport MIMO antennas with mutual coupling reduction techniques for modern wireless transreceive operations: A review," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 2, 2017.
5. Moghadasi, M. N., R. Ahmadian, Z. Mansouri, F. B. Zarrabi, and M. Rahimi, "Compact EBG structures for reduction of mutual coupling in patch antenna MIMO arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 53, 145-154, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14081603
6. Veeramani, A., A. S. Arezomand, J. Vijayakrishnan, and F. B. Zarrabi, "Compact S-shaped EBG structures for reduction of mutual coupling," 2015 Fifth International Conference on Advanced Computing & Communication Technologies, 21-25, Haryana, India, 2015.
7. Naderia, M., F. B. Zarrabib, F. S. Jafaric, and S. Ebrahimid, "Fractal EBG structure for shielding and reducing the mutual coupling in microstrip patch antenna array," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 261-267, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.06.028
8. Dharmarajan, A., P. Kumar, and T. J. O. Afullo, "A high gain UWB human face shaped MIMO microstrip printed antenna with high isolation," Multimedia Tools and Application, Vol. 81, 34849-34862, 2022. doi:10.1007/s11042-021-11827-7
9. Hussain, R., M. U. Khan, and M. S. Sharawi, "An integrated dual MIMO antenna system with dual-function GND-plane frequency-agile antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 1, 142-145, January 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2778182
10. Chandel, R., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Tapered fed compact UWB MIMO-diversity antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 4, 1677-1684, April 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2803134
11. Nirmal, P. C., A. Nandgaonkar, S. Nalbalwar, and R. K. Gupta, "A compact dual band mimo antenna with improved isolation for WI-MAX and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 68, 69-77, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18033104
12. Nirdosh, A. Kakkar, M. R. Tripathy, and A. K. Singh, "A novel compact two element MIMO antenna with pie shaped slot structure for dual band applications," IEEE Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 336-341, Singapore, November 19-22, 2017.
13. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, S. Pandey, R. Anand, D. K. Singh, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Swastika shaped slot embedded two port dual frequency band MIMO antenna for wireless applications," Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, Vol. 109, 103-113, Springer Nature, 2021. doi:10.1007/s10470-021-01923-x
14. Lin, X. J., Y. Zheng, Y. F. Wang, and Y. X. Lai, "Compact dual band MIMO antenna with high isolation," 2019 Photonics & Electromagnetics Research Symposium --- Fall (PIERS FALL), 804-808, Xiamen, China, December 17-20, 2019.
15. Wang, W., Y. Wu, W. Wang, and Y. Yang, "Isolation enhancement in dual-band monopole antenna for 5G applications," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 68, No. 6, 1867-1871, June 2021.
16. Bait-Suwailam, M. M., T. Almoneef, and S. M. Saeed, "Wideband MIMO antenna with compact decoupling structure for 5G wireless communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 100, 117-125, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21080602
17. Dou, Y., Z. Chen, J. Bai, Q. Cai, and G. Liu, "Two-port CPW-fed dual-band MIMO antenna for IEEE 802.11 a/b/g applications," Hindawi International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2021, Article ID 5572887, June 10, 2021.
18. Achariparambil, A., K. K. Indhu, R. A. Kumar, K. Neema, and A. Chandroth, "Ultra-wideband quad element MIMO antenna on a flexible substrate for 5G and wearable applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 126, 143-155, 2022.
19. Yahya, L. S., L. S. Yahya, and K. H. Sayidmarie, "A crescent-shaped monopole mimo antennas with improved isolation for dual-band WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 117, 115-127, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21101503
20. Panda, A. K., S. Sahu, and R. K. Mishra, "A compact dual-band 2 x 1 metamaterial inspired mimo antenna system with high port isolation for LTE and WiMax applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 8, 2017. doi:10.1002/mmce.21122
21. Biswal, S. P. and S. Das, "Two-element printed PIFA-MIMO antenna system for WiMAX and WLAN applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 14, 2262-2270, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5271
22. Deng, J. Y., Z. J. Wang, J. Y. Li, and L. X. Guo, "A dual-band MIMO antenna decoupled by a meandering line resonator for WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, No. 3, 759-765, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.31049
23. Naidu, P. V., D. Maheshbabu, A. Saiharanadh, A. Kumar, N. Vummadisetty, L. Sumanji, and K. A. Meerja, "A compact four-port high isolation hook shaped ACS fed MIMO antenna for dual frequency band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 113, 69-82, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21042701
24. Dileepan, D., S. Natarajan, and R. Rajkumar, "A high isolation multiband MIMO antenna without decoupling structure for WLAN/WiMAX/5G applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 112, 207-219, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21032605
25. Naidu, P. V., A. Saiharanadh, D. Maheshbabu, A. Kumar, and N. Vummadisetty, "Design and performance analysis of G-shaped compact ACS fed 4-port MIMO antenna for triple frequency band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 112, 55-68, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21021501
26. Yang, M. and J. Zhou, "A compact pattern diversity MIMO antenna with enhanced bandwidth and high-isolation characteristics for WLAN/5G/WiFi applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, No. 6, 2353-2364, 2020. doi:10.1002/mop.32334
27. Pradeep, P., J. S. Kottareddygari, and C. S. Paidimarry, "A compact 4 x 4 peace-shaped wideband MIMO antenna for sub-6 GHz 5G wireless applications," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 17, No. 5, September 2022.
28. Khade, A., M. Trimukhe, S. Jagtap, and R. K. Gupta, "A circular sector with an inverted L-shaped monopole antenna for tri-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 118, 177-186, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22010802
29. Sharawi, M., "Printed multi-band mimo antenna systems and their performance metrics [Wireless Corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 5, 218-232, 2013. doi:10.1109/MAP.2013.6735522