This article introduces a new planar multiband antenna inspired by metamaterials. The design incorporates a split-ring resonator (SRR) on a printed monopole antenna for ultra-wideband (UWB) communication, generating a new resonant frequency within the Industrial, Scientific, and Medical (ISM) frequency band. The effect of SRR-inspired slots was examined using characteristic mode analysis (CMA), revealing that the placement of the SRR on the antenna's radiating structure created multiple resonant modes. To improve impedance matching, the ground plane of the antenna was modified. The antenna was fed using a 50 Ω microstrip line. The proposed antenna was simulated and fabricated on an inexpensive FR4 substrate with a thickness of 1.6 mm, a dielectric constant of 4.4, and dimensions of 38×40 mm2. To validate the simulation results, the antenna parameters were measured. The results showed that the proposed antenna is capable of covering both the ISM frequency band (2.2-2.5 GHz) and the UWB frequency band (3-26 GHz). This makes it suitable for various wireless communication applications requiring UWB and ISM frequencies, offering a promising solution.
"A Novel Metamaterial-Inspired UWB and ISM Multiband Antenna for Wireless Communications: Design and Characteristic Mode Analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 1-12, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23060707
1. Marqués, R., F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters: Theory, Design, and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
2. Ghanbari, L., A. Keshtkar, S. Ghanbari, and S. Jarchi, "Planar low VSWR monopole antenna for UWB and LTE communication," 2016 16th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 1-4, IEEE, 2016.
3. Ghanbari, L., S. Nikmehr, and M. Rezvani, "A novel small UWB antenna using new fractal-like geometry," 2011 IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-4, IEEE, 2011.
4. Si, L.-M., W. Zhu, and H.-J. Sun, "A compact, planar, and CPW-fed metamaterial-inspired dual-band antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 305-308, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2249037
5. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, Y.-Y. Lv, M.-Q. Qi, X. Gao, and S. Ge, "Multifrequency monopole antennas by loading metamaterial transmission lines with dual-shunt branch circuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 703-725, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12122409
6. Rao, M. V., B. Madhav, T. Anilkumar, and B. P. Nadh, "Metamaterial inspired quad band circularly polarized antenna for WLAN/ISM/Bluetooth/WiMAX and satellite communication applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 97, 229-241, 2018.
7. Selvi, N. T., P. T. Selvan, S. Babu, and R. Pandeeswari, "Multiband metamaterial-inspired antenna using split ring resonator," Computers & Electrical Engineering, Vol. 84, 106613, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.compeleceng.2020.106613
8. Malik, J. and M. Kartikeyan, "Metamaterial inspired patch antenna with L-shape slot loaded ground plane for dual band (WiMAX/WLAN) applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 35-43, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12021908
9. Reddy, G. S., A. Kamma, S. K. Mishra, and J. Mukherjee, "Compact bluetooth/UWB dual- band planar antenna with quadruple band-notch characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 872-875, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2320892
10. Li, W. T., Y. Q. Hei, W. Feng, and X. W. Shi, "Planar antenna for 3G/Bluetooth/WiMAX and UWB applications with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 61-64, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2183671
11. Liu, L.-Y. and B.-Z. Wang, "A broadband and electrically small planar monopole employing metamaterial transmission line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1018-1021, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2388762
12. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 772-785, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173120
13. Wan, Y. T., D. Yu, F. S. Zhang, and F. Zhang, "Miniature multi-band monopole antenna using spiral ring resonators for radiation pattern characteristics improvement," Electronics Letter, Vol. 49, No. 6, 382-384, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2012.3980
14. Amani, N., M. Kamyab, A. Jafargholi, A. Hosseinbeig, and J. Meiguni, "Compact tri-band metamaterial-inspired antenna based on CRLH resonant structures," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 12, 847-848, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.0875
15. Pandey, G., H. Singh, P. Bharti, and M. Meshram, "Metamaterial-based UWB antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 18, 1266-1268, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.2366
16. Sarkar, D., K. Saurav, and K. V. Srivastava, "Multi-band microstrip-fed slot antenna loaded with split-ring resonator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 21, 1498-1500, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2014.2625
17. Nordin, M. A. W., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Design of a compact ultrawideband metamaterial antenna based on the modified split-ring resonator and capacitively loaded strips unit cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 157-173, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12100708
18. Soliman, A., D. Elsheakh, E. Abdallah, and H. El-Hennawy, "Multiband printed metamaterial inverted-F antenna (IFA) for USB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 297-300, 2014.
19. Majedi, M. S. and A. R. Attari, "A compact and broadband metamaterial-inspired antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 345-348, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2248072
20. Islam, M., M. T. Islam, M. Samsuzzaman, and M. R. I. Faruque, "Compact metamaterial antenna for UWB applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 16, 1222-1224, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.2131
21. Chen, Y. and C.-F.Wang, Characteristic Modes: Theory and Applications in Antenna Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2015. doi:10.1002/9781119038900
22. Saurav, K., D. Sarkar, and K. V. Srivastava, "Dual-polarized dual-band patch antenna loaded with modified mushroom unit cell," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1357-1360, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2337911
23. Garbacz, R. and R. Turpin, "A generalized expansion for radiated and scattered fields," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 19, No. 3, 348-358, 1971. doi:10.1109/TAP.1971.1139935
24. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858598