This paper presents a novel gap coupled suspended multiband microstrip antenna suitable for wireless applications like long term evolution (LTE), wireless local area network (WLAN), Amateur radio, and Sub 6 GHz 5G wireless applications. The proposed antenna is a single layer geometry suspended in air that employs a gap-coupled feed with a parasitic strip for tuning the input impedance. The overall dimensions of the antenna are 41.4 mm x 39 mm x 3.12 mm. The presented antenna offers a total of six resonant frequencies centered at 1.70 GHz, 2.77 GHz, 3.03 GHz, 4.26 GHz, 4.58 GHz, and 5.64 GHz. Measured resonant frequencies fairly match the simulated values. Further, the gain values at these frequencies are 7.29 dBi, 6.10 dBi, 7.39 dBi, 5.39 dBi, 6.22 dBi, & 7.03 dBi, and the corresponding measured gain values are 6.92 dBi, 7.72 dBi, 4.88 dBi, 5.34 dBi, 4.25 dBi, and 6.51 dBi, respectively. Radiation patterns were measured at all these frequencies and found to have highly stable radiation characteristics except for slight asymmetry at the high frequency end of the operational band.
Veeresh G. Kasabegoudar,
"High Gain Multiband Microstrip Antenna for LTE, WLAN, Amateur Radio, and Sub-6 GHz
5G Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 87-99, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23061102
1. Yin, J., Q. Wu, C. Yu, H. Wang, and W. Hong, "Broadband symmetrical E-shaped patch antenna with multi-mode resonance for 5G millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 7, 4474-4483, July 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2911266
2. Lu, H., F. Liu, W. Wang, Z. Gao, X. Bai, and Y. Li, "Capacitive probe compensation-fed wideband patch antenna with U-shaped parasitic elements for 5G/WLAN/Wi-Max applications," IEICE Express, Vol. 16, No. 16, 1-6, 2019.
3. Singh, D. K., B. K. Kanujia, S. Dwari, and G. P. Pandey, "Modeling of a dual circularly polarized capacitive-coupled slit loaded truncated microstrip antenna," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 19, No. 4, 1564-1572, 2020. doi:10.1007/s10825-020-01527-0
4. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "Coplanar capacitively coupled probe fed microstrip antennas for wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 10, 3131-3138, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2055781
5. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and P. Reddy, "A review of low profile single layer microstrip antennas," International Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering & Telecommunications, Vol. 11, No. 2, 122-131, 2022. doi:10.18178/ijeetc.11.2.122-131
6. Reddy, P. and V. G. Kasabegoudar, "Gap coupled suspended ultra-wideband microstrip antennas for 5G applications," International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology, Vol. 71, No. 2, 371-381, 2023. doi:10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V71I2P239
7. Sun, W., Y. Li, L. Chang, H. Li, X. Qin, and H. Wang, "Dual-band dual-polarized microstrip antenna array using double-layer gridded patches for 5G millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 10, 6489-6499, October 2021. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3070185
8. Yang, S., G.-M. Zhang, X.-D. Yue, J.-L. Ru, and G.-P. Fan, "A dual-frequency broadband patch antenna with L-shaped probe feed for 5G communication," 2019 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 1-3, 2019.
9. Kasabegoudar, V. G., "Dual frequency ring antennas with coplanar capacitive feed," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 23, 27-39, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11060104
10. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and A. Kumar, "Dual band coplanar capacitive coupled microstrip antennas with and without air gap for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 36, 105-117, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC12110612
11. Mok, W. C., S. H. Wong, K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch dual-band and triple-band patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, 4341-4344, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2260516
12. Gao, M. and X. Zhao, "Design of tri-band patch antenna with enhanced bandwidth and diversity pattern for indoor wireless communication," Applied Sciences, Vol. 12, 1-13, 2022. doi:10.3390/app12083971
13. Elkorany, A. S., et al., "Implementation of a miniaturized planar tri-band microstrip patch antenna for wireless sensors in mobile applications," Sensors, Vol. 22, 2022. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2022.3164002
14. Wang, L., J. Yu, T. Xie, and K. Bi, "A novel multiband fractal antenna for wireless application," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-9, 2021.
15. Rengasamy, R., D. Dhanasekaran, C. Chakraborty, and S. Ponnan, "Modified Minkowski fractal multiband antenna with circular-shaped split-ring resonator for wireless applications," Measurement, Vol. 182, 1-9, 2021.
17. Sharma, N., A. Kumar, A. De, and R. K. Jain, "Design of compact hexagonal shaped multiband antenna for wearable and tumor detection applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 105, 205-217, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM21081701
18. Patel, D. H. and G. D. Makwana, "Multiband antenna for GPS, IRNSS, sub 6 GHz 5G and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 116, 53-63, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERM23020902
19. Patel, D. H. and G. D. Makwana, "Multiband antenna for 2G/3G/4G and sub-6 GHz 5G applications using characteristic mode analysis," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 115, 107-117, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERM22122901
20. Kumar, A. and A. P. S. Pharwaha, "Development of a modified Hilbert curve fractal antenna for multiband applications," IETE Journal of Research, 1-10, 2020.
21. Ali, T., K. D. Prasad, and R. C. Biradar, "A miniaturized slotted multiband antenna for wireless applications," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 17, 1056-1070, 2018. doi:10.1007/s10825-018-1183-z
22. Ali, T., F. Nikhat, and R. C. Biradar, "A miniaturized multiband reconfigurable fractal slot antenna for GPS/GNSS/Bluetooth/WiMAX/X-band applications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communication, Vol. 94, 234-243, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.07.017
23. Ahmad, I., et al., "Design and experimental analysis of multiband compound reconfigurable 5G antenna for sub-6 GHz wireless applications," Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, 1-14, 2021.
24. Sultan, K., M. Ikram, and N. Nguyen-Trong, "A multiband multibeam antenna for Sub-6 GHz and mm-wave 5G applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 21, No. 6, 2022. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2022.3164627
25. Desai, A., et al., "Multiband inverted E and U shaped compact antenna for digital broadcasting, wireless, and sub 6 GHz 5G applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communication, Vol. 123, 1-8, 2020.