In this paper, an ultra-miniaturized, planar dual-band wearable antenna is proposed for bio-telemetry applications. The proposed antenna covers the 433 MHz and 915 MHz Industrial, Scientific, and Medical (ISM) bands with a compact volume of 0.000000384λ03. The antenna consists of a meander line on the top side of the substrate, while the backside is loaded with an inductive grid structure to achieve miniaturization. Moreover, the absence of vias in the design of the antenna offers a significant benefit in terms of simplifying the fabrication process. The design approach considers the integration of other components for device-level architecture. The antenna exhibits stable performance when placed on different human body parts, such as the head and hand. The evaluated specific absorption rate (SAR) complies with the regulated human safety standard. Additionally, the link margin (LM) calculation shows that the antenna could establish a biotelemetry communication link at a distance of 20 meters.
Regalla Narendra Reddy,
Nalam Venkata Koteswara Rao,
Dasari Rama Krishna,
"Design of Ultra-Miniaturized Wearable Antenna for Bio-Telemetry Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 113-121, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23062603
1. Hall, P. S. and Y. Hao, Antennas and Propagation for Body-centric Wireless Communications, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2012.
2. Fang, G., E. Dutkiewicz, M. A. Huq, R. Vesilo, and Y. Yang, "Medical body area networks: Opportunities, challenges and practices," Proc. 11th Int. Symp. Commun. Inf. Technol., 562-567, 2011.
3. Zhu, S. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 926-935, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014527
4. Liu, Z. G. and Y. X. Guo, "Dual band low profile antenna for body centric communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 4, 2282-2285, Apr. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2234071
5. Othman, N., N. A. Samsuri, M. K. A. Rahim, and K. Kamardin, "Low specific absorption rate and gain-enhanced meandered bowtie antenna utilizing flexible dipole-like artificial magnetic conductor for medical application at 2.4 GHz," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, 3881-3889, 2020. doi:10.1002/mop.32507
6. Mersani, A., L. Osman, and J.-M. Ribero, "Performance of dual-band AMC antenna for wireless local area network applications," Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 6, 872-878, May 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0476
7. Biswas, A. K. and U. Chakraborty, "Investigation on decoupling of wide band wearable multiple- input multiple-output antenna elements using microstrip neutralization line," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 29, e21723, 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21723
8. Gemio, J., et al., "Human body effects on implantable antennas for ISM bands applications: Models comparison and propagation losses study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 437-452, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10102604
9. Sabban, A., "Small wearable antennas for wireless communication and medical systems," 2018 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 161-164, Anaheim, CA, USA, 2018. doi:10.1109/RWS.2018.8304974
10. Suzan Miah, M., A. N. Khan, C. Icheln, K. Haneda, and K.-I. Takizawa, "Antenna system design for improved wireless capsule endoscope links at 433 MHz," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 4, 2687-2699, Apr. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2900389
11. Mohamed, A. E., A. H. Muqaibel, and M. S. Sharawi, "Superstrate loaded miniaturized patch for biomedical telemetry," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 1212-1218, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30497
12. Michalopoulou, A., A. Alexandridis, T. Zervos, and F. Lazarakis, "A wearable multiband monopole antenna for digital television and wireless communications," The 8th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2014), 1398-1402, The Hague, Netherlands, 2014.
13. Rezaeieh, S. A. and A. M. Abbosh, "Wideband and unidirectional folded antenna for heart failure detection system," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 844-847, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2320495
14. Zhang, H., X. Chen, M. Li, F. Yang, and S. Xu, "A compact dual-band folded-cavity antenna for microwave biomedical imaging applications," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Comput. Electromagn., 1-3, Mar. 2019.
15. Dey, A., D. Mitra, and W. Arif, "Design of CPW fed multiband antenna for wearable wireless body area network applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, 2020.
16. Khan, U. R., J. A. Sheikh, A. Junaid, R. Amin, S. Ashraf, and S. Ahmed, "Design of a compact hybrid Moore's fractal inspired wearable antenna for IoT enabled bio-telemetry in diagnostic health monitoring system," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 116129-116140, 2022. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3219442
17., "IEEE Standard for Safety Levels with Respect to Human Exposure to Radio Frequency Electromagnetic Fields, 3 kHz to 300 GHz," IEEE Std C95.1-1999, 1999.
18., "IEEE Standard for Safety Levels with Respect to Human Exposure to Radio Frequency Electromagnetic Fields, 3 kHz to 300 GHz," Revision of IEEE Std C95.1-1991, 2006.
19. Xia, W., K. Saito, M. Takahashi, and K. Ito, "Performances of an implanted cavity slot antenna embedded in the human arm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 894-899, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014579
20. Fan, Y., J. Huang, T. Chang, and X. Liu, "A miniaturized four-element MIMO antenna with EBG for implantable medical devices," IEEE Journal of Electromagnetics, RF and Microwaves in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 2, No. 4, 226-233, Dec. 2018. doi:10.1109/JERM.2018.2871458