In this paper, a planar microstrip patch antenna operating in FCC MBAN for tumor detection is presented. The proposed antenna is constructed using a triangle-shaped patch with inset feeding. It is fabricated on an Arlon AD1000 substrate. Some of the parameters are assumed, and optimization is carried out to achieve greater performance. This prototype is placed on a human tissue mimicking model and simulated considering the cases of body model with tumor and without tumor. The designed antenna resonates at 2.37 GHz with 10 dB bandwidth of 3 MHz meeting the requirements specified by the FCC. Further, the introduction of a slot in the ground plane gives a half power beam width of 20.6° with directivity of 8 dB. This narrow beam is suitable for scanning application in microwave imaging. The fabrication of the antenna is carried out, and measurements are done to assess the performance of the antenna. Body phantom is created using petroleum jelly and mixture of wheat flour and water. The fabricated antenna is placed on the created model, and the variation in the resonant characteristics has been observed with the presence and absence of tumor.
Anil Kumar Bhat,
"Tumor Detection Using Microstrip Patch Antenna Operating in FCC MBAN Band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 215-227, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23070103
1. Chung, K. L. and C. H. Wong, "Wang-shaped patch antenna for wireless communication," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 638-640, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2055820
2. Gosalia, K. and G. Lazzi, "Reduced size, dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2182-2186, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816344
3. Liang, Z., J. Liu, Y. Li, and Y. Long, "A dual-frequency broadband design of coupled-fed stacked microstrip monopolar patch antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1289-1292, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2505091
4. Elsadek, H. and D. M. Nashaat, "Multiband and UWB V-shaped antenna configuration for wireless communications applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 89-91, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.900953
5. Li, P. K., Z. H. Shao, Q. Wang, and Y. J. Cheng, "Frequency-and pattern-reconfigurable for multistandard wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 333-336, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2359196
6. Minasian, A. A. and T. S. Bird, "Particle swarm optimization of microstrip antennas for wireless communication systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 6214-6217, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2281517
7. Yang, F., X.-X Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wide-band E-shape patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, 1094-1100, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.933489
8. Bakariya, P. S., S. Dwari, M. Sarkar, and M. K. Mandal, "Proximity-coupled multiband microstrip antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 646-649, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2376693
9. See, C. H., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, D. Zhou, T. H. Lee, and P. S. Excell, "A crescent-shaped multiband planar monopole antenna for mobile wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 152-155, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044741
10. Tak, J., S. Woo, J. Kwon, and J. Choi, "Dual-band dual-mode patch antenna for on/off-body WBAN communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 348-351, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2444881
11. Kissi, C., M. Sarestoniemi, T. Kumpuniemi, et al., "Reflector-backed antenna for UWB medical applications with on-body investigations," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2019, Article ID 6159176, 17 pages, 2019. doi:10.1155/2019/6159176
12. Nilavalan, R., I. J. Craddock, A. Preece, J. Leendertz, and R. Benjamin, "Wideband microstrip patch antenna design for breast cancer tumour detection," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, 277-281, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20050189
13. Cheng, X., D. E. Senior, C. Kim, and Y.-K. Yoon, "A compact omni-directional self-packeged patch antenna with complementary split-ring resonator loading for wireless endoscope applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1532-1535, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2181315
14. Conway, G. A. and W. G. Scanlon, "Antennas for over-body-surface communication at 2.45 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 844-855, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014525
15. Jofre, L., M. S. Hawley, A. Broquetas, et al. "Medical imaging with microwave tomographic scanner," IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engg., Vol. 37, 303-312, 1990. doi:10.1109/10.52331
16. Deeksha, B., A. Sai Ravi Teja, E. Sai Laxshmi, M. Nikhil Eshwar, and A. Singh, "Electromagnetically coupled notches loaded patch antenna for bio-medical applications," IEEE Conference IMPACT 2017, Aligarh University, 283-286, 2017.
17. Bahl, I. J., S. S. Stuchly, and M. Stuchly, "A new microstrip radiator for medical applications," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 28, No. 12, 1464-1469, Dec. 1980. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1980.1130268
18. FCC, Medical body area network measurement procedures, pub 670572D01MBANv01, 2015.
19. Bahal, I. J., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
20. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antenna, Artech House, USA, 2003.
21. Bahal, I. J. and P. Bartia, Microstrip Patch Antenna, Artech House, 1980.
22. Singh, A., M. Aneesh, Kamakshi, and J. A. Ansari, "Analysis of microstrip line fed patch antenna for wireless communications," Open Engineering, Vol. 7, 279-286, 2017. doi:10.1515/eng-2017-0034
23. Singh, A., K. Shet, D. Prasad, A. K. Pandey, and M. Aneesh, "A review: Circuit theory of microstrip antennas for dual-multi- and ultra-widebands," Modulation in Electronics and Telecommunications, Intechopen, Book Chapter, 2020.
24. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1997.
25. Terman, F. E., Electronic and Radio Engineer, 15, Kagakasha, Tokyo, Japan, 1995.
26. Computer simulation Technology Microwave Studio Suite 2018, 2018.
27. Alshehri, S. A., S. Khatun, A. B. Jantan, R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, R. Mahmood, and Z. Awang, "Experimental study of breast cancer detection using UWB imaging," Proceeding of the International Conference on Advanced Science, Engineering and Information Technology, 2011, 2011.
28. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antannas, Artech House, USA.
29. Rao, S., A. Singh, A. K. Bhat, Durgaprasad, and K. Shet, "Reactively loaded stripline fed rectangular patch antenna for wireless and biomedical applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 128, 219-229, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC22112201