High Frequency Transformer (HFT) acts as the key element of a Solid State Transformer (SST), which is a mandatory equipment in smartgrid system. SST replaces power frequency transformer by providing control and communication in power system. The design of an HFT matching the design of conventional distribution transformer is done in this paper. It is done by developing an iterative algorithm using Brute Force technique. The optimum design is selected by taking minimization of total owning cost as objective function. The algorithm takes eight design variables and four design constraints for shortlisting the optimum design. The optimum design developed is validated in finite element analysis software. The multi-physics analysis of the design is done by interconnecting electromagnetic, mechanical, thermal, and power electronics components of the system. The analytical and numerical analysis follow the same pattern by conducting a case study on the design of HFT with ratings 1000 kVA, 11 kV/415 V, three phases.
Shajimon Kalayil John,
Kudilil Prasad Pinkymol,
Kappamadathil Raman Muraleedharan Nair,
"Multi-Physics Analysis and Loss Evaluation of High Frequency Transformer with Non-Sinusoidal Excitation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 121, 1-11, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERM23082304
1. Kolar, J. W. and G. Ortiz, "Solid-state-transformers: Key components of future traction and smart grid systems," Proc. IEEE Intern. Power Electronics Conf., Hiroshima, Japan, 2014.
2. She, X., R. Burgos, G. Wang, F. Wang, and A. Q. Huang, "Review of solid state transformer in the distribution system: From components to field application," 2012 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 4077-4084, Raleigh, NC, USA, 2012.
3. Rehman, A. and M. Ashraf, "Design and analysis of PWM inverter for 100 kVA solid state transformer in a distribution system," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 140152-140168, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2942422
4. Chaturvedi, P. K., S. K. Jain, P. Agrawal, and P. K. Modi, "Investigations on different multilevel inverter control techniques by simulation," 2006 International Conference on Power Electronic, Drives and Energy Systems, 1-6, New Delhi, India, 2006.
5. Madhusoodhanan, S., A. Tripathi, D. Patel, K. Mainali, et al., "Solid-state transformer and MV grid tie applications enabled by 15 kV SiC IGBTs and 10 kV SiC MOSFETs based multilevel converters," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 51, No. 4, 3343-3360, Jul.–Aug. 2015. doi:10.1109/TIA.2015.2412096
6. Wang, D., J. Tian, C. Mao, et al. "A 10-kV/400-V 500-kVA electronic power transformer," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 63, No. 11, 6653-6663, Nov. 2016. doi:10.1109/TIE.2016.2586440
7. Montoya, R. J. G., "High-frequency transformer design for solid-state transformers in electric power distribution systems,", University of Arkansas, 2015.
8. Bahmani, M. A., T. Thiringer, A. Rabiei, and T. Abdulahovic, "Comparative study of a multi- MW high-power density DC transformer with an optimized high-frequency magnetics in all-DC offshore wind farm," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 31, No. 2, 857-866, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2015.2494883
9. Lee, Y., G. Vakil, A. J. Watson, and P. Wheeler, "Geometry optimization and characterization of three-phase medium frequency transformer for 10 kVA isolated DC-DC converter," 2017 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 511-518, 2017. doi:10.1109/ECCE.2017.8095826
10. Banumathy, J. R. and R. Veeraraghavalu, "High frequency transformer design and optimization using bio-inspired algorithms," Applied Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 32, No. 7–8, 707-726, 2018. doi:10.1080/08839514.2018.1506969
11. Dworakowski, P., A. Wilk, M. Michna, B. Lefebvre, and T. Lagier, "3-phase medium frequency transformer for a 100kW 1.2 kV 20 kHz dual active bridge converter," IECON 2019 — 45th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 4071-4076, Lisbon, Portugal, 2019.
12. Olowu, T. O., H. Jafari, M. Moghaddami, and A. I. Sarwat, "Multiphysics and multiobjective design optimization of high-frequency transformers for solid-state transformer applications," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 57, No. 1, 1014-1023, Jan.–Feb. 2021. doi:10.1109/TIA.2020.3035129
13. Thango, B. A., J. A. Jordaan, and A. F. nnachi, "Total ownership cost evaluation for transformers within solar power plants," 2020 6th IEEE International Energy Conference (ENERGYCon), 302-307, Gammarth, Tunisia, 2020. doi:10.1109/ENERGYCon48941.2020.9236613
14. Joseph, S., S. K. John, K. P. Pinkymol, J. Joseph, and K. R. M. Nair, "Multiphysics analysis of high frequency transformers used in SST with different magnetic materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 116, 129-143, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERM22121901
15. Mogorovic, M. and D. Dujic, "Medium frequency transformer leakage inductance modeling and experimental verification," 2017 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 419-424, Cincinnati, OH, USA, 2017.
16. Joseph, S., A. K. Abraham, P. Harikrishna Raj, J. Joseph, and K. R. M. Nair, "An iterative algorithm for optimum design of high frequency transformer in SST application," IECON 2020 The 46th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 1538-1543, Singapore, 2020.
17. Nair, K. R. M., Power and Distribution Transformers: Practical Design Guide, 1st Ed., CRC Press, 2021. doi:10.1201/9781003088578
18., , IEC 60076-11: Power transformers — Part 11: Dry type Transformers, 2018.