This paper presents a high gain dielectric resonance antenna (DRA) array for vehicular wireless communication and 5G system in millimeter wave band, which takes the advantage of low side lobe level (SLL). The planar antenna array is composed of 8×8 rectangular DRA elements, whose operation mode is the fundamental mode TE111. The beamforming weights of the array are designed based on the principle of Dolph-Chebyshev distribution to suppress the antenna SLL. The planar array consists of 8 linear sub-arrays, which are fed with standing-wave series resonance method respectively. The excitations of sub-array elements are precisely adjusted based on the aperture coupling model. Furthermore, the series-parallel hybrid feed network and parallel-cascaded feed network are applied to unequally feed the sub-arrays in accordance with Chebyshev polynomials. The measurement results of prototype validate the design solution of antenna array. The impedance bandwidth is 570 MHz (25.77 GHz-26.34 GHz) for reflection coefficients less than -10 dB, and the antenna gain and SLL are 20.5±1 dBi and 20 dB, respectively. Due to the advantages of miniaturization and narrow beam, the proposed DRA antenna array is adequate for vehicle communication equipment.
1. Guan, K., et al., "5-GHz obstructed vehicle-to-vehicle channel characterization for internet of intelligent vehicles," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 6, No. 1, 100-110, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/JIOT.2018.2872437
2. Zhong, Z., et al., "A compact dual-band circularly polarized antenna with wide axial-ratio beamwidth for vehicle GPS satellite navigation application," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 68, No. 9, 8683-8692, Sept. 2019. doi:10.1109/TVT.2019.2920520
3. Wang, Z., H. Liu, S.-J. Fang, and Y. Cao, "A low-cost dual-wideband active GNSS antenna with low-angle multipath mitigation for vehicle applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 281-289, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER13121205
4. Schwarz, S., E. Zochmann, M. Muller, and K. Guan, "Dependability of directional millimeter wave vehicle-to-infrastructure communications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 53162-53171, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2981166
5. Ko, M., H. Lee, and J. Choi, "Planar LTE/sub-6GHz 5G MIMO antenna integrated with mmWave 5G beamforming phased array antennas for V2X applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 11, 1283-1295, 2020. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2019.0849
6. Sharma, A., et al., "Communication and networking technologies for UAVs: A survey," Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 168, 1-24, 2020.
7. Hassanien, A., M. G. Amin, E. Aboutanios, and B. Himed, "Dual-function radar communication systems: A solution to the spectrum congestion problem," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 36, No. 5, 115-126, Sept. 2019. doi:10.1109/MSP.2019.2900571
8. Xu, J., et al., "Wideband, low-profile patch array antenna with corporate stacked microstrip and substrate integrated waveguide feeding structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 2, 1368-1373, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2883561
9. Inomata, M., et al., "Transparent glass antenna for 28GHz and its signal reception characteristics in urban environment," 2020 14th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Copenhagen, 2020.
10. Trujillo-Flores, J. I., et al., "CPW-fed transparent antenna for vehicle communications," Applied Sciences, Vol. 10, 1-11, 2020.
11. Desai, A., T. Upadhyaya, M. Palandoken, and C. Gocen, "Dual band transparent antenna for wireless MIMO system applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 1-12, 2019.
12. Boyuan, M., J. Pan, E. Wang, and Y. Luo, "Fixing and aligning methods for dielectric resonator antennas in K band and beyond," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 12638-12646, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2893443
13. Chowdhury, R. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Investigation of new sectored hemispherical dielectric resonator antennas operating at TM101 and TE111 mode for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 167, 95-109, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIER20041601
14. Sharma, A., G. Das, S. Gupta, and R. K. Gangwar, "Quad-band quad-sense circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna for GPS/CNSS/WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 3, 403-407, Mar. 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.2969743
15. Yang, M., Y. Pan, Y. Sun, and K. Leung, "Wideband circularly polarized substrate-integrated embedded dielectric resonator antenna for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 2, 1145-1150, Feb. 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2938629
16. Mazhar, W., D. M. Klymyshyn, G.Wells, A. A. Qureshi, M. Jacobs, and S. Achenbach, "Low-profile artificial grid dielectric resonator antenna arrays for mm-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 7, 4406-4417, Jul. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2907610
17. Keyrouz, S. and D. Caratelli, "Dielectric resonator antennas: Basic concepts, design guidelines, and recent developments at millimeter-wave frequencies," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2016, 4406-4417, 2016.
18. Pan, Y. M., X. Qin, Y. X. Sun, and S. Y. Zheng, "A simple decoupling method for 5g millimeter-wave MIMO dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 4, 2224-2234, Apr. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2891456
19. Zhong, L., D. Zhou, R. Liu, X. Wang, and X. Meng, "The feasibility of coexistence between IMT-2020 and inter-satellite service in 26 GHz band," 2020 International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing (IWCMC), 1006-1011, Limassol, 2020.
20. Jin, L., R. Lee, and I. Robertson, "A dielectric resonator antenna array using dielectric insular image guide," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 2, 859-862, Feb. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2382670
21. Diawuo, H. A. and Y. Jung, "Broadband proximity-coupled microstrip planar antenna array for 5G cellular applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, 1286-1290, Jul. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2842242
22. Ma, T., J. Ai, M. Shen, and W. T. Joines, "Design of novel broadband endfire dipole array antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2935-2938, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2753820
23. Qasaymeh, Y. M., A. Almuhasien, and T. Kamran, "A compact wideband series linear dielectric resonator array antenna," Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, Vol. 28, 394-403, 2020. doi:10.3906/elk-1905-41
24. Yi, H., L. Li, J. Han, and Y. Shi, "Traveling-wave series-fed patch array antenna using novel reflection-canceling elements for flexible beam," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 111466-111476, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2934652