This research paper presents a wideband hook shaped aperture coupled circularly polarized antenna for 5G application. It consists of three layers; a radiating copper plate (0.5 mm) as a top layer, a foam material of 2 mm thickness as a middle layer, an FR4 substrate with hook-shaped apertures in the ground plane, and a bent feed line as the bottom layer. The performance characteristics of the proposed design are improved by feeding mechanism, which entails the use of a bent shape microstrip line coupling through four hook shaped slots to generate four sequentially phased sources to excite the single layer patch antenna. The proposed antenna exhibits return loss bandwidth of 29.10% (2.8-3.81 GHz), axial ratio bandwidth of 13.47% (3.61-4.11 GHz), and cross polarization level is 20 dB which is attained at boresight and Gain of 4.08 dBic at the resonant frequency of 3.47 GHz. The proposed antenna design is fairly applicable to 5G radio band and discussed about the azimuth, elevation patterns and surface current distribution in frequency band of interest. The proposed design is simulated using High frequency structure simulator (v.13), and measured results are in good agreement with simulated ones.
2. Qing, X., et al., "Compact asymmetric-slit microstrip antennas for circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 285-288, 2010.
3. Ravikanti, S., et al., "A novel and compact circularly polarized antenna for 5G wireless local area network application," Electrical, Control and Communication Engineering Journal, Vol. 16, No. 1, 44-50, 2020.
4. Kirov, G. S., et al., "Circularly polarized aperture coupled microstrip antenna with resonant slots and a screen," Radio Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 1, 111-116, 2010.
5. Mak, K. M., et al., "Circularly polarized patch antenna for future 5G mobile phones," IEEE Access, Vol. 2, 1521-1529, 2014.
6. Ge, L., et al., "Polarization reconfigurable magneto-electric dipole antenna for 5G Wi-Fi," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1504-1507, 2017.
7. Lau, K. L., et al., "Novel wide-band circularly polarized patch antenna based on L-probe and aperture-coupling techniques," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 577-580, 2005.
8. Liu, J. C., et al., "Single-feed circularly polarized aperture-coupled stack antenna with dual-mode square loop radiator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 887-890, 2010.
9. Karmakar, N. C., et al., "Circularly polarized aperture-coupled circular microstrip patch antennas for L-band applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation Letters, Vol. 47, No. 5, 933-940, 1999.
10. Chen, Z. N., et al., "Aperture-coupled asymmetrical C-shaped slot microstrip antenna for circular polarization," IET Microwave and Antennas Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 3, 372-378, 2009.
11. Chang, T. N., et al., "A circularly polarized ring-antenna fed by a serially coupled square slot-ring," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1132-1135, 2012.
12. Liao, C. T., et al., "Novel aperture-coupled circularly polarized square-ring patch antenna for wireless communication systems," IEEE 5th Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 57-58, 2016.
13. Lai, H. W., et al., "Novel aperture-coupled microstrip-line feed for circularly polarized patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 1-9, 2014.
14. Haraz, O. M., et al., "Design and characterization of wideband aperture-coupled circularly polarized antenna for gigabits per second wireless communication system," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 114, No. 1, 431-446, 2020.
15. Gupta, A., et al., "Dual-Band Circularly polarized aperture coupled rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 11388-11396, 2018.
16. Dash, S. K. K., et al., "A superstrate loaded aperture coupled dual-band circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna for X-band communications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 1-8, 2020.
17. Wang, M., et al., "Single-layer, dual-port, dual-band, and orthogonal-circularly polarized microstrip antenna array with low frequency ratio," Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Vol. 2018, 1-10, 2018.
18. Porath, R., et al., "Theory of miniaturized shorting-post microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 1, 41-47, 2000.
19. Ansari, J. A., et al., "Analysis of shorting pin loaded half disk patch antenna for wideband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 6, 179-192, 2009.
20. Kumar, P., et al., "Microstrip antennas loaded with shorting post," Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, 41-54, 2009.
21. Wong, H., et al., "Virtually shorted patch antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1213-1216, 2010.
22. Zhang, X., et al., "Patch antennas with loading of a pair of shorting pins toward flexible impedance matching and low cross polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 4, 1226-1233, 2016.
23. Nayeri, P., et al., "Dual-band circularly polarized antennas using stacked patches with asymmetric U-slots," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 492-495, 2011.
24. Agarwal, A., et al., "A dual band stacked aperture coupled antenna array for WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 3, 648-654, 2017.
25. Buffi, A., et al., "Single-feed circularly polarised aperture-coupled square ring slot microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 4, 268-269, 2010.
26. Huang, H., et al., "A low-profile, single-ended and dual-polarized patch antenna for 5G application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 5, 4048-4053, 2019.
27. Greene, K., et al., "An accurate technique for measuring the on-axis axial ratio of circularly polarized feed systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 32, No. 12, 1379-1382, 1988.
28. Hollis, J. S., T. J. Lyon, and L. Clayton, Microwave Antenna Measurements, Scientific-Atlanta, Inc., 1970.