The design and performance of a circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna, for the application in Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN), are reported here. The antenna is a proximity coupled microstrip patch antenna where the radiating patch is loaded by a V-slot. This miniaturized microstrip antenna has wide bandwidth in the frequency band of WLAN and exhibits circularly polarized far field with very good axial ratio bandwidth. The simulated results using IE3D software are verified by measurement.
1. Nee, R. V. and R. Prasad, OFDM for Wireless Multimedia Communications, Artech House, 2000.
2. Guo, Y. J., A. Paez, R. A. Sadeghzadeh, and S. K. Barton, "A patch antenna for HIPERLAN," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 3, 389-396, 1996. doi:10.1007/BF00461147
3. Ollikainen, J., M. Fischer, and P. Vainikainn, "Thin dual-resonant stacked shorted patch antenna for mobile communications," Electronics Letts., Vol. 35, 437-438, 1999. doi:10.1049/el:19990324
4. Yang, F., X.-X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wide-band E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 49, 1094-1100, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.933489
5. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. J. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
6. Kuo, Y.-L. and K.-L.Wong, "Printed double-T monopole antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz dual-band WLAN operations," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 51, 2187-2192, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816391
7. Zhong, Q., Y. Li, H. Jiang, and Y. Long, Design of a novel dual-frequency microstrip patch antenna for WLAN applications, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 277-280, 2004.
8. Angelopoulos, E. S., A. Z. Anastopoulos, D. I. Kaklamani, A. A. Alexandridis, F. Lazarakis, and K. Dangakis, "Circular and elliptical CPW-fed slot and microstrip-fed antennas for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letts., Vol. 5, 294-297, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.878882
9. Jing, X., Z. Du, and K. Gong, "A compact multiband planar antenna for mobile handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 343-345, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.880690
10. Roy, J. S., N. Chattoraj, and N. Swain, "Short circuited microstrip antennas for multi-band wireless communications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letts., Vol. 48, 2372-2375, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.22019
11. Roy, J. S., N. Chattoraj, and N. Swain, "New dual-frequency microstrip antennas for wireless communication," Romanian Journal of Information Science and Technology, Vol. 10, 113-119, 2007.
12. Roy, J. S. and M. Thomas, "Theoretical and experimental investigations on a new proximity coupled dual frequency microstrip antenna for the application in wireless communication," Microwave Review, Vol. 13, 12-15, 2007.
13. Pozar, D. M. and S. M. Voda, "A rigorous analysis of a microstrip fed patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 35, 1343-1350, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144041
14. Roy, J. S., S. K. Shaw, P. Paul, D. R. Poddar, and S. K. Chowdhury, "Some experimental investigations on electromagnetically coupled microstrip antennas on two layer substrates," Microwave and Optical Technology Letts., Vol. 4, 236-238, 1991. doi:10.1002/mop.4650040609
15. Duffy, S. M., "An enhanced bandwidth design technique for electromagnetically coupled microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 48, 161-164, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.833064
16. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Wiley, 2002.
17. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
18. Roy, J. S. and M. Thomas, "Compact and broadband microstrip antennas for next generation high speed wireless communication using HIPERLAN/2," Interantional Journal of Microwave Science and Technology, Vol. 2007, 1-4, 2007. doi:10.1155/2007/75320
19. Ang, B.-K. and B.-K. Chung, "A wideband E-shaped microstrip patch antenna for 5--6 GHz wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 397-407, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061909
20. Wu, Y.-J., B.-H. Sun, J.-F. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Triple band omnidirectional antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 477-484, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080601
21. Kuo, L. C., H. R. Chung, Y. C. Kan, T. C. Huang, and C. H. Ko, "A study of planar printed dipole antennas for wireless communication applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 5, 637-652, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780667355
22. Qin, W., "A novel patch antenna with a T-shaped parasitic strip for 2.4/5.8 GHz WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2311-2320, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134344
23. Sun, B.-H., J.-F. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Compact broadband printed antenna for multi-functional mobile terminals," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8--9, 1292-1298, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784158751
24. Ansari, J. A., P. Singh, and S. K. Dubey, "H-shaped stacked patch antenna for dual band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 291-302, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08031203
25. Khodaei, G. F., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "A practical miniaturized U-slot patch antenna with enhanced bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 47-62, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112201
26. Yin, X. -C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A planar U-type monopole antenna for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07121405
27. Jolani, F. and A. M. Dadgarpour, "Compact M-slot folded patch antenna for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 35-42, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08012801
28. Chen, Y.-L., C.-L. Ruan, and L. Peng, "A novel ultra-wideband bow-tie slot antenna in wireless communication system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 101-108, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07112302