A directly modulated fiber-to-the-home (FTTH)/radio-over-fiber (ROF) transport system based on -1 side mode injection-locked and optoelectronic feedback techniques is proposed and demonstrated. Directly modulated baseband (BB) (622 Mbps) and radio frequency (RF) (622 Mbps/10 GHz) signals are successfully transmitted simultaneously over an-80 km standard single-mode fiber (SMF) transmission. Low bit error rate (BER) values and clear eye diagrams were achieved in our proposed systems. This demonstrated FTTH/ROF transport system is a promising candidate for broadband access networks.
"Fiber-to-the-Home Integration with Digital Link on Microwave Subcarrier Transport Systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 7, 125-136, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09030508
2. Llorente, R., T. Alves, M. Morant, M. Beltran, J. Perez, A. Cartaxo, and J. Marti, "Ultra-wideband radio signals distribution in FTTH networks," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 20, 945-947, 2008. doi:10.1109/LPT.2008.922329
3. Serdyuk, V. M., "Dielectric study of bound water in grain at radio and microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 379-406, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081103
4. Oraizi, H. and S. Hosseinzadeh, "A novel marching algorithm for radio wave propagation modeling over rough surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 85-100, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05051001
5. Ikeda, K., T. Kuri, and K. Kitayama, "Simultaneous three band modulation and fiber-optic transmission of 2.5Gb/s baseband, microwave-, and 60 GHz band signals on a single wavelength," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 21, 3194-3202, 2003. doi:10.1109/JLT.2003.821739
6. Lin, C. T., W. R. Peng, P. C. Peng, J. Chen, C. F. Peng, B. S. Chiou, and S. Chi, "Simultaneous generation of baseband and radio signals using only one single-electrode Mach-Zehnder modulator with enhanced linearity," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 18, 2481-2483, 2006. doi:10.1109/LPT.2006.887233
7. Xia, G. Q., Z. M. Wu, and X. H. Jia, "Theoretical investigation on commanding the bistability and self-pulsation of bistable semiconductor laser diode using delayed optoelectronic feedback," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 23, 4296-4304, 2005. doi:10.1109/JLT.2005.849920
8. Lu, H. H., W. S. Tsai, A. S. Patra, S. H. Tzeng, H. C. Peng, and H. L. Ma, "CATV/ROF transport systems based on -1 side mode injection-locked and optoelectronic feedback techniques," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 10, 055309-1-055309-5, 2008.
9. Lu, H. H., C. L. Ying, W. I. Lin, Y. W. Chuang, Y. C. Chi, and S. J. Tzeng, "CATV/ROF transport systems based on light injection/optoelectronic feedback techniques and photonic crystal fiber," Opt. Commun., Vol. 273, 389-393, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2007.01.008
10. Lin, C. T., W. R. Peng, P. C. Peng, J. Chen, C. F. Peng, B. S. Chiou, and S. Chi, "Simultaneous generation of baseband and radio signals using only one single-electrode Mach-Zehnder modulator with enhanced linearity," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 18, 2481-2483, 2006. doi:10.1109/LPT.2006.887233
11. Hong, Y. and K. A. Shore, "Locking characteristics of a side-mode injected semiconductor laser," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 35, 1713-1717, 1999. doi:10.1109/3.798096
12. Murakami, A., K. Kawashima, and K. Atsuki, "Cavity resonance shift and bandwidth enhancement in semiconductor lasers with strong light injection," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 39, 1196-1204, 2003. doi:10.1109/JQE.2003.817583
13. Zaman, T. R. and R. J. Ram, "Modulation of injection locked lasers for WDM-PON applications," OFC/NFOEC 2008, JThA100, 2008.
14. Saboureau, P., J. P. Foing, and P. Schanne, "Injection-locked semiconductor lasers with delayed optoelectronic feedback," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 33, 1582-1591, 1997. doi:10.1109/3.622640
15. Wang, J., M. K. Haldar, and F. V. C. Mendis, "Formula for two-tone and third-order intermodulation distortion in semiconductor laser diodes," Electron. Lett., Vol. 29, 1341-1343, 1993. doi:10.1049/el:19930899
16. Lau, E. K. and M. C. Wu, "Amplitude and frequency modulation of the master laser in injection-locked laser systems," IEEE International Topical Meeting, Vol. MC-29, 142-145, 2004.