This paper presents analysis and design of a compact ultra wide band (UWB) filter using three parallel folded coupled lines in a defected ground structure in multi-layer structure. Defected ground has been incorporated under the coupled lines of the filter to improve the coupling over a wide bandwidth. The closed form expressions for even and odd mode impedances for the coupled lines with defected ground have been obtained to design a filter of desired bandwidth with the proposed structure. Based on circuit models, an UWB filter for 3.1-10.6 GHz has been analyzed and the results have been compared using full wave simulations. Analytical results are satisfactorily matching with simulations. Filter exhibits a constant group delay of ±0.08 ns in the pass band. Size of the filter is 6.2 mm×3.4 mm×2.8 mm.
"Analysis and Design of a Compact Multi-Layer Ultra Wide Band Filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 7, 111-123, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09030606
1. Menzel, W., L. Zhu, K. Wu, and F. Bogelsack, "On the design of novel compact broadband planar filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 2, 364-370, Feb. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.807843
2. Wang, X. H. and B. Z. Wang, "Compact broadband dual-band bandpass filters using slotted ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 151-166, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08030101
3. Razalli, M. S., A. Ismail, and M. A. Mahdi, "Novel compact microstrip ultra-wide band filter utilizing short-circuited stubs with less vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 91-104, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08102303
4. Moghadasi, S. M., A. R. Attari, and M. M. Mirsalehi, "Compact and wideband 1-D mushroom-like EBG filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 323-333, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08050101
5. Schwab, W., F. Boegelsack, and W. Menzel, "Multilayer suspended stripline and coplanar line filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 7, 1403-1407, Jul. 1994. doi:10.1109/22.299736
6. Hsu, C.-Y., C.-Y. Chen, and C.-H. Huang, "A UWB filter using a dual-mode ring resonator with spurious pass band suppression," Microwave Journal, 130-136, Nov. 2005.
7. Ishida, H. and K. Araki, "Design and analysis of UWB band pass filter," IEEE Topical Conference on Wireless Communication Technology, Honolulu, Oct. 2003.
8. Wong, S. W. and L. Z. Zhu, "Quadruple-mode UWB band pass filter with improved out-of-band rejection," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 3, 152-154, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2013735
9. Scrantom, C. Q., "Where we are and where we're going-II," IEEE MTT-S IMS Dig., 193-200, 1999.
10. Tang, C. W., "Harmonic-suppression LTCC filter with the step impedance quarter-wavelength open stub," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 2, 617-624, Jul. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.822022
11. Sheen, J. W., "LTCC-MLC duplexer for DCS-1800," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 9, 1883-1890, Sep. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.788526
12. Mobbs, C. I. and J. D. Rhodes, "A generalized chebyshev suspended substrate stripline band pass filter," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 31, No. 5, 397-402, May 1983. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1983.1131510