A novel approach of left-handed (LH) structures is introduced to reduce the size of microwave components by combining a loaded coupled transmission lines and complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs). The performance of the loaded part of the proposed model is equal by two cascaded unit elements. The equivalent circuit model and subsequently, the left and right handed transmission frequencies of the proposed structure are presented. A highly miniaturized dual-band branch-line coupler (BLC) is analyzed, designed, tested and proposed by this technique. The size reduction is reported about 75% in analogy with the conventional ones. The measurement results are in good agreement with the theoretical ones.
"Loaded Coupled Transmission Line Approach of Left-Handed (LH) Structures and Realization of a Highly Compact Dual-Band Branch-Line Coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 10, 75-86, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09041508
1. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martin, R. Marques, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. Garcia, I. Gil, M. F. Portillo, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 1451-1461, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845211
2. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, Apr. 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
3. Mondal, P., M. K. Mandal, A. Chaktabary, and S. Sanyal, "Compact bandpass filters with wide controllable fractional bandwidth," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 16, 540-542, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.882401
4. Bahrami, H., M. Hakkak, and A. Pirhadi, "Analysis and design of highly compact bandpass waveguide filter utilizing complementary split ring resonators (CSRR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 107-122, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07111203
5. Zhang, J., B. Cui, S. Lin, and X.-W. Sun, "Sharp-rejection low-pass filter with controllable transmission zero using complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 219-226, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06122103
6. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Novel microwave devices and structures based on the transmission line approach of meta-materials," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 1, 195-198, 2003.
7. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Application of the transmission line theory of left-handed (LH) materials to the realization of a microstrip LH transmission lines," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 412-415, 2002.
8. Iyer, K. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Negative refractive-index metamaterials supporting 2-D waves," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 1067-1070, 2002.
9. Lin, I. H., M. D. Vincentis, C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Arbitrary dual-band components using composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 1142-1149, Apr. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.825747
10. Sanda, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Characteristics of the composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 14, 68-70, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.822563
11. Niu, J.-X. and X.-L. Zhou, "A novel dual-band branch line coupler based on strip-shaped complementary split ring resonators," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 11, 2859-2862, Nov. 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22873
12. Siso, G., J. Bonache, M. Gill, I. Gill, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "Compact rat-race hybrid based on complementary split rings resonators," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 3, 2007.
13. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, May 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
14. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Dual-band artificial transmission lines branch-line coupler," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Eng., 53-62, Sept. 2007.
15. Nosrati, M. and S. K. Valashani, "A novel compact branch-line coupler using four coupled transmission lines," Microwave and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 6, 1712-1714, June 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23460
16. Nosrati, M. and A. Najafi, "Bandwidth enhancement and further size reduction of a class of elliptic-function low-pass filter using modified hairpin resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 187-194, 2008.
17. Chan, Y.-H. and J.-S. Hong, "Compact wide-band branch-line hybrids," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 704-709, Apr. 2006.