In this paper, a new technique that combines adaptive transmit antenna selection, transmit power allocation and iterative detection is introduced for the modified Turbo-BLAST system. At the transmitter, in order to minimize the BER performance of the overall system, an adaptive transmit antenna selection scheme is proposed to select the appropriate antenna subset for the actual transmission, and the proper power is allocated for the selected antennas subject to the total transmit power constraint. At the receiver the modified MMSE detector taking the imperfect CSI into account is used to remove the co-antenna interference. Finally the turbo principle is employed for iterative detection to further lower the BER results. Simulation results show that the introduced adaptive transmit antenna selection and power allocation algorithm can significantly improve the BER performance, and the iterative detection technique can further enhance the performance.
"Adaptive Transmit Antenna Selection and Power Allocation Scheme for Turbo-Blast System with Imperfect Channel State Information," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 10, 215-230, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09071503
1. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 6, 315-335, 1998.
2. Abouda, A. A. and S. G. Hagman, "Effect of mutual coupling on capacity of MIMO wireless channels in high SNR scenario," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 65, 27-40, 2006.
3. Sellathurai, M. and S. Haykin, "Turbo-BLAST for wireless communications: Theory and experiments," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 50, No. 10, 2538-2546, 2002. doi:10.1109/TSP.2002.803327
4. Nam, S. H., O. S. Shin, and K. B. Lee, "Transmit power allocation for a modified V-BLAST system," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1074-1079, 2004. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2004.831368
5. Park, C. S. and K. B. Lee, "Transmit power allocation for successive interference cancellation in multicode MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2200-2213, 2008. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2008.050064
6. Yoshimoto, A. and T. Hattori, "Area coverage of a multi-link MIMO system with water filling power allocation strategy," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 1137-1141, 2007.
7. Ma, J. and W. Y. Zhou, "A new block-wise adaptive bit and power allocation algorithm in V-BLAST system," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Vol. 5, 2304-2308, 2006.
8. Palomar, D. P. and J. R. Fonollosa, "Practical algorithms for a family of waterfilling solutions," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 53, No. 2, 686-695, 2005. doi:10.1109/TSP.2004.840816
9. Xie, Z. B., J. K. Wang, Y. Wang, and J. Gao, "Effective antenna selection in MIMO systems under spatial correlated fading," Proceedings of the 7th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, Chongqing, China, 1743-1747, 2008.
10. Blum, R. S., Z. M. Xu, and S. Sana, "A near-optimal joint transmit and receive antenna selection algorithm for MIMO systems," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 554-557, 2009. doi:10.1109/RWS.2009.4957411
11. Ahmadi, S. J., S. H. Jamali, N. S. Safavi, et al. "Switch loss and antenna directivity effects on MIMO antenna selection," Electrical and Computer Engineering Conference, 641-646, 2008.
12. Shi, Z. Y. and H. Leib, "Transmit antenna selected V-BLAST systems with power allocation," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 57, No. 4, 2293-2304, 2008. doi:10.1109/TVT.2007.913181
13. Zhou, Z. Z., B. Vucetic, M. Dohler, et al. "MIMO systems with adaptive modulation," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1828-1842, 2005. doi:10.1109/TVT.2005.853886
14. Zhou, S. L. and G. B. Giannakis, "How accurate channel prediction needs to be for transmit-beamforming with adaptive modulation over Rayleigh MIMO channels?," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication, Vol. 3, No. 4, 1285-1294, 2004. doi:10.1109/TWC.2004.830842
15. Lay, T. O., B. M. Shikh, and J. A. Chambers, "Variable rate and variable power MQAM system based on bayesian bit error rate and channel estimation techniques," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 56, No. 2, 177-182, 2008. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2008.060142
16. Zhou, S. L. and G. B. Giannakis, "Optimal transmitter eigen-beamforming and space-time block coding based on channel mean feedback," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 50, No. 10, 2599-2613, 2002. doi:10.1109/TSP.2002.803355
17. Katsutoshi, K., J. Michael, U. Wolfgang, and B. Gerhard, "Cholesky factorization with symmetric permutation applied to detecting and precoding spatially multiplexed data streams," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, No. 6, 3089-3103, 2007. doi:10.1109/TSP.2007.893978
18. Mohasmmadi, A. and A. Khandani, "Unequal power allocation to the turbo-encoder output bits with application to CDMA systems," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 47, 1609-1610, 1999. doi:10.1109/26.803491
19. Chungand, S. T. and A. J. Goldsmith, "Degree of freedom in adaptive modulation: A unified view," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 49, 1561-1571, 2001.