This paper presents a novel technique to improve the cross-polarization and the beam efficiency of an offset parabolic reflector antenna used for space borne radiometric applications. A special multi-mode primary feed (tri-mode conjugate matched feed) is used to illuminate the offset parabolic reflector antenna. The simulated data on the radiation characteristics of the offset parabolic reflector antenna with a matched feed has been compared with that of a conventional Potter horn. It is observed that the tri-mode feed suppress the unwanted high cross-polarization of an offset reflector antenna and improves the beam efficiency.
Dhaval A. Pujara,
Soumyabrata B. Chakrabarty,
"Improving the Beam Efficiency of an Offset Parabolic Reflector Antenna for Spaceborne Radiometric Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 10, 143-150, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09080103
1. Lo, Y. T. and S. W. Lee, Antenna Design Handbook, Van Nostrand, London.
2. Njoku, E. G., "Passive microwave remote sensing of the earth from space --- A review," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 70, No. 7, 728-750, July 1982. doi:10.1109/PROC.1982.12380
3. Njoku, E. G., J. M. Stacey, and F. T. Barath, "The seasat scanning multichannel microwave radiometer (SMMR): Instrument description and performance," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 2, 100-113, April 1980. doi:10.1109/JOE.1980.1145458
4. Hollinger, J. P., J. L. Peirce, and G. A. Poe, "SSM/I instrument evaluation," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 28, No. 5, 781-790, September 1990. doi:10.1109/36.58964
5. Contu, S. and F. M. Marinelli, "The antenna system for the multi-Frequency imaging microwave radiometer (MIMR)," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2054-2057, June 1994.
6. Sharma, S. B., "The antenna system for the multi-frequency scanning microwave radiometer," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 42, No. 3, 21-30, June 2000. doi:10.1109/74.848945
7. Gaiser, P. W., et al. "The windsat spaceborne polarimetric microwave radiometer: Sensor description and early orbit performance," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 42, No. 11, 2347-2361, November 2004. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2004.836867
8. Rudge, A. W. and N. A. Adatia, "Offset-parabolic reflector antennas: A review," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 66, 1592-1618, December 1978. doi:10.1109/PROC.1978.11170
9. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 2nd edition, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
10. Rudge, A. W. and N. A. Adatia, "New class of primary-feed antennas for use with offset parabolic reflector antennas," Electronic Letters, Vol. 11, 597-599, November 1975.
11. Sharma, S. B., D. A. Pujara, S. B. Chakrabarty, and V. K. Singh, "Removal of beam squinting effects in a circularly polarized offset Parabolic reflector antenna using a matched feed,", Vol. 7, 105-114, 2009.
12. Shee, K. K. and W. T. Smith, "Optimizing multimode horn feed arrays for offset reflector antennas using a constrained minimization algorithm to reduce cross polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, 1883-1885, December 1997. doi:10.1109/8.650210
13. Bahadori, K. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A tri-mode Horn feed for gravitationally balanced back-to-back reflector antennas," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Society International Symposium, 4397-4400, July 2006.
14. Silver, S., Microwave Antenna Theory and Design, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1949.
15. Rudge, A. W., "Multiple-beam antennas: Offset reflectors with offset feeds," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 23, 317-322, May 1975. doi:10.1109/TAP.1975.1141088
16. Kildal, P.-S., Foundations of Antennas, Indian edition, Overseas Press, 2006.