This paper shows that an optimal antenna pattern for active phased array synthetic aperture radar (SAR) has been synthesized to meet the best performances based on particle swarm optimization (PSO) and adaptively selected weighting factors. Because the antenna radiation pattern has a very close relation with the performance of an active phased array SAR system, the authors derived the multi-objective cost functions on the basis of the system performance measures such as the range-to-ambiguity ratio, noise equivalent sigma zero, and radiometric accuracy. The antenna mask templates were derived from the SAR system design parameters in order to optimize the system requirements. To effectively minimize the cost functions and to search for the amplitude and phase excitations of an active phase array SAR antenna, the authors applied the PSO technique to SAR antenna pattern design and also carefully selected weighting factors to improve the fitness of the cost functions on the basis of the SAR performance.
"An Optimal Antenna Pattern Synthesis for Active Phased Array SAR Based on Particle Swarm Optimization and Adaptive Weighting Factor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 10, 129-142, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09080401
1. Barbarossa, S. and G. Levrini, "An antenna pattern synthesis technique for spaceborne SAR performance optimization," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 29, 254-259, 1991. doi:10.1109/36.73666
2. Curlander, J. C. and R. N. McDonough, Synthetic Aperture Radar Systems and Signal Processing, John Wiley & Sons, 1991.
3. Callaghan, G. D. and I. D. Longstaff, "Wide-swath space-borne SAR and range ambiguity," Proc. IEE Radar, Vol. 97, 248-252, 1997.
4. Heer, C., K. Dumper, and B. Grafmuller, "SAR antenna beam pattern optimisation," Proc. IGARSS, 2263-2265, 2000.
5. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H.Werner, "Particle swarm optimization versus genetic algorithms for phased array synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 52, 771-779, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825102
6. Kennedy, J. and R. C. Eberhart, Swarm Intelligence, Morgan Kaufmann, 2001.
7. Kim, S. Y., J. H. Hwang, B. T. Jeon, C. H. Kim, and N. H. Myung, "Optimal antenna pattern design for synthetic aperture radar using particle swarm intelligence," Proc. ISAP, 1027-1030, 2007.
8. Semnani, A. and M. Kamyab Hesari, "An enhanced method for inverse scattering problems using fourier series expansion in conjunction with FDTD and PSO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 45-64, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061204
9. Li, W.-T., X.-W. Shi, L. Xu, and Y.-Q. Hei, "Improved GA and PSO culled hybrid algorithm for antenna array pattern synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 461-476, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07121503
10. Wang, W.-T., S.-X. Gong, Y.-J. Zhang, F.-T. Zha, J. Ling, and T. Wan, "Low RCS dipole array synthesis based on MoM-PSO hybrid algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 119-132, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09060902
11. Ka, M. H. and A. I. Baskakov, "Selection of pulse repetition frequency in high-precision oceanographic radar altimeters," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 4, 345-348, 2007. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2007.895679
12. Kim, S. Y., N. H. Myung, and M. J. Kang, "Antenna mask design for SAR performance optimization ," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 6, 443-447, 2009. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2009.2016356