A highly miniaturized low-pass filter using microstrip open-loop and semi-hairpin resonators is designed and analyzed to enhance the bandwidth and further size reduction of this kind of elements. Initially, two microstrip open ring resonators and separately, two semi-hairpin resonators are arranged and attached back-to-back to each other respectively. A compact LPF is designed and simulated using these modified resonators. The size reduction of this proposed filter is reported about 65% with 190% enhancement of bandwidth in analogy with the conventional low-pass filters.
"A Novel Miniaturized Wide-Band Elliptic-Function Low-Pass Filter Using Microstrip Open-Loop and Semi-Hairpin Resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 10, 243-251, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09082608
1. Giannini, F., M. Salerno, and R. Sorrentino, "Design of low-pass elliptic filters by means of cascaded microstrip rectangular elements," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 30, Sep. 1982.
2. Hsieh, L.-H. and K. Chang, "Compact elliptic-function low-pass filter using microstrip stepped-impedance hairpin resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 1, Jan. 2003.
3. Hsieh, L.-H. and K. Chang, "Compact low-pass filter using stepped-impedance hairpin resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 37, No. 14, Jul. 2001.
4. Arnedo, I., I. Arregui, F. J. Falcone, M. A. G. Laso, and T. Lopetegi, "Low pass filter with wide rejection band in microstrip technolog," International Symposium ISSSE'07, 13-16, Jul. 2007.
5. Dahlon, S. H. and M. Esa, "Miniaturized low-pass filter using modified unifolded single hairpin-line resonator for microwave communication systems," International RF and Microwave Conference, 16-20, Sep. 2006. doi:10.1109/RFM.2006.331028
6. Nosrati, M. and A. Najafi, "Bandwidth enhancement and further size reduction of a class of elliptic-function low-pass filter using modified hairpin resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 187-194, 2008.
7. Nosrati, M., T. Faraji, and Z. Atlasbaf, "A compact composite broad stop-band elliptic-function low-pass filter for ultra wide-band applications using interdigital capacitor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 87-95, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09011707
8. Hong, J.-S. and M.-J. Lancaster, "Coupling of microstrip square open-loop resonators for cross-coupled planar microwave filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 9, 2099-2109, Nov. 1996.
9. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Wiley, New York, 1998.