This paper suggests the design of a novel miniaturized dual-band bandpass filter based on the composite right/left-handed (CRLH) metamaterial structure. In detail, subwavelength resonators are realized through the zeroth order resonance (ZOR), and inverter structures are proposed to control the coupling between neighboring ZOR resonators. The proposed technique is validated by the EM predictions, the proof of metamaterial properties with the ZOR field distributions and extracted constitutive parameters, and measurements. It is found that the suggested method enables the remarkable size reduction from the conventional filters such as the parallel coupled type which is designed on the basis of the half-wavelength resonance.
1. Kuo, J.-T., T.-H. Yeh, and C.-C. Yeh, "Design of microstrip band-pass filters with a dual-passband response," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1331-1336, Apr. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845765
2. Kuo, J.-T. and H.-S. Cheng, "Design of quasi-elliptic function filters with a dual-passband response," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 10, 472-474, Oct. 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.834560
3. Xiao, J.-K., S.-W. Ma, S. Zhang, and Y. Li, "Novel compact split ring stepped-impedance resonator (SIR) bandpass filters with transmission zeros," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 329-339, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367369
4. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meander-loop resonator and CSRR DGS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07090301
5. Marques, R., F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negtive Parameters: Theory, Design, and Microwaves Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
6. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Trnsmis-sion Line Theory and Microwave Application, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
7. Allen, C. A., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Design of microstrip resonators using balanced and unbalanced composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 7, 3104-3112, Jul. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.877048
8. Kahng, S. and J. Ju, Design of the UWB bandpass filter based on the 1 cell of microstrip CRLH-TL, Proc. International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (IEEE-ICMMT 2008), Vol. 1, 69-72, 2008.
9. Kahng, S. and J.-H. Ju, "Realized metamaterial crlh bandpass filter for uhf-band wlan with harmonics suppressed," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on: Art of Miniaturizing RF and Microwave Passive Components, 2008. IMWS 2008, 98-101, Dec. 14--15, 2008.
10. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, Artech House Publishers, Feb. 1996.