This paper shows the design of a fractal patch antenna, which uses a unique fractal geometry known as Pythagoras tree with co-planer waveguide (CPW) feeding. The antenna has been designed for dual band operation at the WLAN/WiMAX (2.4 GHz) and WiMAX (3.5 GHz) for Ultra-Wideband applications. The antenna was simulated using CST Microwave Studio. The fabricated antenna's measurement results were found to be in good agreement with the simulated ones.
"Pythagoras Tree: a Fractal Patch Antenna for Multi-Frequency and Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 16, 25-35, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10062206
1. Basilio, L. I., R. L. Chen, J. T. Williams, and D. R. Jackson, "A new planar dual-band GPS antenna designed for reduced susceptibility to low-angle multipath," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2358-2366, 2007.
2. Lee, C.-J., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Compact dual-band antenna using an anisotropic metamaterial," Proceedings of the 36th European Microwave Conference, 1044-1047, September 2006.
3. Sze, J.-Y., C.-I G. Hsu, and S.-C. Hsu, "Design of a compact dual-band annular-ring slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 423-426, 2007.
4. He, S. and J. Xie, "Analysis and design of a novel dual-band array antenna with a low profile for 2400/5800-MHz WLAN systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 391-396, 2010.
5. Pankhuri and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Full-ψ and half-ψ patch antennas for 2.4/5.8 GHz WLAN application," Frequenz, Vol. 64, No. 1--2, 2-9, February 2010.
6. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Anlennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, 2003.
7. Werner, D. H. and R. Mittra, Frontiers in Electromagnetics, IEEE Press, New York, 2000.
8. Gianvittorrio, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 1, June 16, 2010.
9. WiMAX Forum, http://www.wimaxforum.org/home/, last visited on June 16, 2010.
10. Ritosa, P., T. Korosec, J. Tratnik, L. Naglic, and B. Batagelj, "Adaptive WiMAX subscriber antenna for 2.6 GHz and 3.45 GHz," EUROCON 2009, 46-51, St. Petersburg, Russia, May 2009.
11. Prombutr, N. and P. Akkaraaektharin, "Analysis and design hilbert curve fractal antenna feed with co-planar waveguide for multi-band wireless communication," International Journal of Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 3, 1-11, May/June 2008.
12. Dafalla, Z. I., W. T. Y. Kuan, A. M. Abdel Rahman, and S. C. Shudakar, "Design of a rectangular microstrip patch antenna at 1 GHz," RF and Microwave Conference, 145-149, 2004.
13. Tiwari, H. and M. V. Kartikeyan, "A stacked microstrip patch antenna with fractal shaped defects," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 14, 185-195, July 2010.
14. Aggarwal, A. and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Design of sierpinski carpet antenna using two different feeding mechanisms for WLAN applications," Int. Conf. Infrared, Millimeter, and THz Waves 2010, Rome, Italy, September 5--10, 2010 (accepted).