This paper presents a multiband meandered loop antenna for smart phone applications. The proposed antenna which features a meandered folded-loop generates two resonance modes in the LTE/GSM bands. The current distributions of the excited resonance modes are analyzed to investigate the mode characteristic. By using a capacitively coupled feed on the backplane, the impedance bandwidth is broadened to cover LTE/WWAN bands. The simulation performed in this research used a high frequency structure simulator (HFSS) to optimally design the antenna, and a practical structure was constructed for the test. Details of the various antenna parameters are presented and discussed in this paper.
"A Meandered Loop Antenna for LTE/WWAN Operations in a Smart Phone," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 16, 147-160, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10072503
1. Sesia, S., I. Toufik, and M. Baker, LTE --- The UMTS Long Term Evolution: From Theory to Practice, Wiley, Chichester, UK, 2009.
2. Wong, K. L. and W. Y. Chen, "Small-size printed loo-type antenna integrated with two stacked coupled-fed shorted strip monopoles for eight-band LTE/GSM/UMTS operation in the mobile," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1471-1476, Jul. 2010.
3. Chaudhury, S. K., H. J. Chaloupka, and A. Ziroff, "Novel MIMO antennas for mobile terminal," Proceedings of the 1st European Wireless Technology Conference, 330-333, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Oct. 2008.
4. Bhatti, R. A., S. Yi, and S. O. Park, "Compact antenna array with port decoupling for LTE-standardized mobile phones," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1430-1433, 2009.
5. Abedin, M. F. and M. Ali, "Modifying the ground plane and its effect on planar inverted-F antennas (PIFAs) for mobile phone handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 226-229, 2003.
6. Anguera, J., I. Sanz, A. Sanz, A. Condes, D. Gala, C. Puente, and J. Soler, "Enhancing the performance of handset antennas by means of groundplane design," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials (IWAT), 29-32, New York, USA, Mar. 2006.
7. Cabedo, A., J. Anguera, C. Picher, M. Ribó, and C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna combining PIFA, slots, and ground plane modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 9, 2526-2533, Sep. 2009.
8. Picher, C., J. Anguera, A. Cabedo, C. Puente, and S. Kahng, "Multiband handset antenna using slots on the ground plane: Considerations to facilitate the integration of the feeding transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 95-109, 2009.
9. Lin, C. I. and K. L. Wong, "Internal meandered loop antenna for GSM/DCS/PCS multiband operation in a mobile phone with the user's hand," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 4, 759-765, Apr. 2007.
10. Chi, Y. W. and K. L. Wong, "Internal compact dual-band printed loop antenna for mobile phone application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1457-1462, May 2007.
11. Wong, K. L. and C. H. Huang, "Printed loop antenna with a perpendicular feed for penta-band mobile phone application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 7, 2138-2141, Jul. 2008.
12. Chi, Y. W. and K.-L. Wong, "Compact multiband folded loop chip antenna for small-size mobile phone," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3797-3803, Dec. 2008.
13. Chiu, C. W., C. H. Chang, and Y. J. Chi, "Multiband folded loop antenna for smart phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 123-136, 2010.
14. Chiu, C. W. and Y. J. Chi, "Printed loop antenna with a U-shaped tuning element for hepta-band laptop applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, Nov. 2010.
15. Li, W. Y. and K. L. Wong, "Seven-band surface-mount loop antenna with a capacitively coupled feed for mobile phone application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 1, 81-88, Jan. 2009.
16. Vainikainen, P., J. Ollikainen, O. Kivekas, and K. Kelander, "Resonator-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 10, 1433-1444, Oct. 2002.
17. Chen, Z. N., N. T. Yang, Y. X. Guo, and M. Y. W. Chia, "An investigation into measurement of handset antennas," IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1100-1110, Mar. 2005.
18. FEKO, EM Software & Systems | S.A. (Pty) Ltd. (EMSS), [Online], available: http://www.feko.info.
19. Beard, B. B. and W. Kainz, "Review and standardization of cell phone exposure calculations using the SAM phantom and anatomically correct head models," Biomed. Eng. Online, Vol. 3, 34, Oct. 13, 2004.