A helix slow-wave structure (SWS) for a high efficiency Ku-band 140 W space TWT has been designed. Cold circuit parameters of helix SWS like propagation constant and on axis interaction impedance were determined using 3-D electromagnetic field simulators ANSOFT-HFSS and CST-MWS and validated with the experimental results. In-house developed large-signal code SUNRAY-1D was used to design the complete helix SWS in 2-section with sever and taper to achieve desired output power, gain, efficiency, and other linearity parameters such as phase shift, AM/PM factor, I/M components. Simulated RF performance of the Ku-band 140W helix TWT was validated with the experimental results. A close agreement between the simulated and experimental results has been found.
Mukesh Kumar Alaria,
R. K. Sharma,
"Design and Characterization of Helix Slow Wave Structure for Ku-Band Space TWT," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 16, 171-182, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10080602
1. Gilmour, Jr., A. S., Principles of Traveling Wave Tube, Artech House, Boston, London, 1994.
2. Srivastava, V., M. K. Alaria, A. Bera, R. R. Singh, P. V. Bhaskar, and V. Kiran, "Simulation of 2-section SWS for high efficiency TWT," IVEC Proc., 417-418, 2007.
5. Kory, C. L., "Validation of an accurate three dimensional helical slow wave circuit model," NASA Tech. Report, NASA, contractor report 4766, March 1997. doi:10.1109/TED.2005.845866
6. Kory, C. L. and J. A. Dayton, "Accurate cold-test model of helical TWT slow wave circuits," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 45, No. 4, 966-971, April 1998. doi:10.1109/16.711375
7. Aloisio, M. and P.Waller, "Analysis of helical slow-wave structures for Space TWTs using 3-D electromagnetic simulators," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 52, No. 5, 749-754, May 2005.
8. Kory, C. L. and J. A. Dayton, "Computational investigation of experimental impedance obtained by perturbation for helical traveling wave tube structure," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 45, 2063-2071, September 1998.
9. Rowe, J. E., Nonlinear Electron Wave Interaction Phenomena, Academic Press, 1965.
10. Srivastava, V. and S. N. Joshi, "One-dimensional nonlinear model for helix TWTs," IETE Tech. Rev., Vol. 6, No. 6, 500-507, 1989. doi:10.1109/16.887034
11. Srivastava, V. and S. N. Joshi, "Improved nonlinear model for multi-signal analysis of helix TWTs," IEE Proc. - H, Vol. 7, No. 12, 129-134, April 1992.
12. Srivastava, V., Richard G. Carter, B. Ravinder, A. K Sinha, and S. N. Joshi, "Design of helix slow wave structures for high efficiency TWTs," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 47, No. 12, 2438-2443, December 2000.