This paper presents a novel 10 GHz bio-radar system based on a frequency multiplier and phase-locked loop (PLL) for non-contact measurement of heartbeat and respiration rates. In this paper, a 2.5 GHz voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) with PLL is employed as a frequency synthesizer, and 10 GHz continuous wave (CW) signal is generated by using frequency multiplier from 2.5 GHz signal. This paper also presents the noise characteristics of the proposed system, and the analysis result shows that the same signal-to-noise-ratio (SNR) performance can be achieved with the proposed system based on the frequency multiplier compared with the conventional system with identical carrier frequency. The experimental results shows excellent vital-signal measurement up to 100 cm without any additional digital signal processing (DSP), thus proving the validity of the proposed system.
1. Budge, Jr., M. C. and M. P. Burt, Range correlation effects in radars, Record of the 1993 IEEE National Radar Conference, 212-216, Apr. 1993.
2. Budge, Jr., M. C. and M. P. Burt, "Range correlation effects on phase and amplitude noise," Proceedings of IEEE Southeastcon, 5, 1993.
3. Droitcour, A. D., O. Boric-Lubecke, V. M. Lubecke, J. Lin, and G. T. A. Kovac, "Range correlation and I/Q performance benefits in single-chip silicon Doppler radars for noncontact cardiopulmonary monitoring," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 52, No. 3, 838-848, Mar. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.823552
4. Droitcour, A. D., V. M. Lubecke, J. Lin, and O. Boric-Lubecke, "A microwave radio for doppler radar sensing of vital signs," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 175-178, May 2001.
5. Xiao, Y., J. Lin, O. Boric-Lubecke, and M. Lubecke, "Frequency-tuning technique for remote detection of heartbeat and respiration using low-power double-sideband transmission in the ka-band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, No. 5, 2023-2032, May 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.873625
6. Kim, C. Y., J. G. Kim, and S. C. Hong, "A quadrature radar topology with Tx leakage canceller for 24-GHz radar applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, 1438-1444, Jul. 2007.
7. Kim, C. Y., J. G. Kim, D. Baek, and S. C. Hong, "A circularly polarized balanced radar front-end with a single antenna for 24-GHz radar applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, 293-297, Feb. 2009.
8. Jang, B.-J., S.-H. Wi, J.-G. Yook, M.-Q. Lee, and K.-J. Lee, "Wireless bio-radar sensor for heartbeat and respiration detection," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 5, 149-168, 2008.
9. Myoung, S.-S., B.-J. Jang, J.-H. Park, and J.-G. Yook, "2.4 GHz bio-radar system with improved performance by using phase-locked loop," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2074-2076, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25366
10., Frequency Allocations of Amateur Satellite Service, International Telecommunication Union, 2009.