A novel single-layer broadband coplanar waveguide-fed antenna with band-rejected characteristic is proposed for WLAN/WiMAX operation. First, the broadband characteristic (2.43-5.97 GHz) is achieved by a CPW-fed patch antenna with a dual-Y slot. Then, a single slit is inserted on the radiating patch or ground plane to introduce a notched band. The proposed antenna has a compact size of 40 × 25 mm2. The broadband characteristic and band-rejected functions of the proposed antennas are implemented and measured. Two types of antennas were studied. Measured notched-band impedance bandwidths (return loss <10 dB) are 370 MHz and 1050 MHz, respectively, which satisfies the requirements for WLAN and WiMAX applications. Detailed design steps and experimental results for the designs are studied and investigated in this paper.
1. Yoon, J.-H., "Triangular slot antenna with a double-T shaped tuning stub for wide operation," Miceowave and Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 9, 2123-2128, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22684
2. Jan, J.-Y. and J.-W. Su, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed wide-slot antenna with a rotated slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 2111-2114, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848518
3. Chen, W.-S., "A novel broadband design of a printed rectangular slot antenna for wireless applications," Microwave Journal, Vol. 49, 122-130, 2006.
4. Latif, S. I., L. Shafai, and S. K. Sharma, "Bandwidth enhancement and size reduction of microstrip slot antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 994-1003, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842674
5. Liao, W. and Q.-X. Chu, "CPW-fed square slot antenna with lightening-shaped feedline for broadband circularly polarized radiation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 61-69, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10080101
6. Jiao, J.-J., G. Zhao, F.-S. Zhang, H.-W. Yuan, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A broadband CPW-Fed T-shaped slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 237-242, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07070904
7. Chen, J., G. Fu, G.-D. Wu, and S.-X. Gong, "Compact graded central feeder line CPW-FED broadband antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 2089-2097, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932467
8. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, J. Wang, and L.-X. Ma, "A new tapered slot antenna with symmetrical and stable radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letter, Vol. 5, 35-43, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08103003
9. Chen, W.-S., F.-Y. Lin, and C.-H. Lin, "Novel design of open-slot broadband antenna with dual band-rejected characteristics for WiMAX applications," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2008.
10. Liu, W. C., "Dual wideband coplanar waveguide-fed notched antennas with asymmetrical grounds for multi-band wireless application ," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 980-985, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20070022
11. Chen, W.-S. and K.-Y. Ku, "Band-rejected design of the printed open slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 1163-1169, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.919192
12. Zheng, Z.-A., Q.-X. Chu, and Z.-H. Tu, "Compact band-rejected ultrawideband slot antennas inserting eith λ/2 and λ/4 resonators ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 390-397, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2096399
13. Wei, Y.-Q., Y.-Z. Yin, L. Xie, K. Song, and X.-S. Ren, "A novel band-notched antenna with self-similar flame slot used for 2.4 GHz WLAN and UWB application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 693-701, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311794827302