In this paper, optically transparent ultra-wideband (UWB) monopole antennas in S-band and C-band are presented, compared and discussed. Three transparent UWB antennas elaborated from the AgGL (Silver Grid Layer) material with various levels of transparency (54.5%, 73.4% and 80.3%) and of sheet resistances 0.018 Ω/sq, 0.022 Ω/sq and 0.052 Ω/sq, respectively are tested. The radiofrequency measurements show performances very close to those of a light reflecting reference antenna made of a continuous silver/titanium bilayer (0.0026 Ω/sq sheet resistance). Conversely, the fourth transparent antenna, made of usual transparent conducting oxide/metal multilayer presents significant ohmic losses and weak radiofrequency performances. The gains of the UWB AgGL antennas are similar to that of the reference antenna (~6 dBi max.). Whereas the gain of the transparent multilayer antenna always stays ~2 dB lower than that of the reference. This work demonstrates the relevance of AgGL coating in the fabrication of transparent UWB antennas with high radiation efficiency.
1. Ito, K. and M. Wu, See-through microstrip antennas constructed on a transparent substrate, 7th International Conference on Antennas and Propagation Proceedings, 133-136, York, UK, 1991.
2. Wu, M. and K. Ito, "Basic study on see-through microstrip antennas constructed on a window glass," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium Proceedings, 499-502, Chicago, USA, 1992.
3. Turpin, T. W. and R. Baktur, "Meshed patch antenna integrated on solar cell," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 693-696, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2025522
4. Song, H. J., T. Y. Hsu, D. F. Sievenpiper, H. P. Hsu, J. Schaffner, and E. Yasan, "A method for improving the efficiency of transparent film antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 753-756, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2008107
5. Katsounaros, A., Y. Hao, N. Collings, and W. A. Crossland, "Optically transparent antenna for ultra wide-band applications," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1918-1921, Berlin, Germany, 2009.
6. Klöppel, A., B. Meyer, J. Trube, "Influence of substrate temperature and sputtering atmosphere on electrical and optical properties of double silver layer systems," Thin Solid Films, Vol. 392, 311-314, 2001. doi:10.1016/S0040-6090(01)01049-5
7. Colombel, F., X. Castel, M. Himdi, G. Legeay, S. Vigneron, and E. Motta Cruz, "Ultrathin metal layer, ITO film and ITO/Cu/ITO multilayer towards transparent antenna," IET Science, Measurement and Technology, Vol. 3, 229-234, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-smt:20080060
8. Hautcoeur, J., X. Castel, F. Colombel, R. Benzerga, M. Himdi, G. Legeay, and E. Motta Cruz, "Transparency and electrical properties of meshed metal films," Thin Solid Films, Vol. 519, 3851-3858, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.tsf.2011.01.262
9. Hautcoeur, J., F. Colombel, X. Castel, M. Himdi, and E. Motta Cruz, "Optically transparent monopole antenna with high radiation efficiency manufactured with a silver grid layer (AgGL)," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, 1014-1015, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.1218