In this paper, a novel dual planar electromagnetic bandgap (DP-EBG) microstrip structure is investigated to suppress the spurious radiation of the patch antenna. It is demonstrated that the proposed structure achieves a ultra-wide stopband and excellent passband performance within a compact circuit area. Utilizing such special features, two units of the DP-EBG structure are employed in the feed line of patch antenna with the aim of suppressing harmonics and other spurious modes. The calculated and experimental results all verify that the application of this DP-EBG structure not only drastically diminishes spurious radiations of 2nd ~ 6th harmonics in a broad frequency band, but also overcomes some shortages of other EBG microstrip antennas introduced in previous research such as large back radiation or beam squint. Besides that, by adjusting the separation between the DP-EBG structure constructed in the feed line and the patch's bottom edge in a moderate distance, the procedure for designing the EBG patch antenna working on a certain frequency with the goal of reducing spurious radiation is simplified.
1. Deal, , W. R., , T. Jung, M. C. Wu, and T. Itoh, "All-optically controlled beam-scanning array for antenna remoting applications,", 1383-1386, 1998. doi:10.1109/75.752109
2. Horii, Y. , M. Tsutsumi, and , "Harmonic control by photonic bandgap on microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 9, No. 1, 13-15, 1999. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.846775
3. Sung, , Y. J. , Y.-S. Kim, and , "An improved design of microstrip patch antennas using photonic bandgap structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1799-1804, 2005.
4. GonLee, , J. , J. HaeLee, and , "Suppression of spurious radiations of patch antennas using split-ring resonators (SRRs)," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 2, 284-287, February. doi:10.1002/mop.22049
5. Mandal, , M. K., , P. Mondal, S. Sanyal, and A. Chakrabarty, "An improved design of harmonic suppression for microstrip patch antennas ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters,, Vol. 49, No. 1, 103-105, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2009654
7. Yeo, J. , D. Kim, and , "Harmonic suppression characteristic of a CPW-fed circular slot antenna using single slot on a ground conductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, , Vol. 11, 11-19, 2009.
8. Shamaileh, , K. A. A., , A. M. Qaroot, and N. I. Dib, , "Non-uniform transmission line transformers and their application in the design of compact multi-band Bagley power dividers with harmonics suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 113.
9. Lopetegi, , T., , et al., "Design of improved 2-D photonic bandgap microstrip structures," Proc. 23rd Int. Conf. Infrared and Millimeter Waves , 197-198, 1998. doi:10.1109/22.899965
10. Ahn, , D., , et al., "A design of the low-pass A design of the low-pass ¯lter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques,, Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, 2001. doi: --- Either ISSN or Journal title must be supplied.
11. Lim, , J.-S., , C.-S. Kim, J.-S. Park, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "Design of 10 dB 90 branch line coupler using microstrip line with defected ground structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 21, 1784-1785, 2000. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.854212
12. Huang, , S. Y. , Y. H. Lee, and , "Tapered dual-plane compact electromagnetic bandgap microstrip lilter structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques,, Vol. 53, No. 9, 2656-2664, 2005.
14. Woonphil, , K., , et al., "Modelling and design of 2D UC-PBG structure using transmission line theory," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Symp., Vol. 3, 780-783, 2002.
16. Costa, , F., , et al., "Analysis and design of ultra thin electromag-netic absorbers comprising resistively loaded high impedance surfaces," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1551-1558, 2010. doi: --- Either ISSN or Journal title must be supplied.