An ultra-wideband (UWB) balanced bandpass filter (BPF) is proposed and designed using defected ground structures (DGSs). A multimode resonator on top layer with a coplanar waveguide on bottom layer is used to design a UWB BPF. U-shaped and H-shaped DGSs loaded with capacitor are used to design to provide common mode rejection within a lower band, while a set of dumbbell-shaped DGSs are utilized to provide common mode rejection within an upper-band. The proposed UWB balanced BPF shows the performance of good common mode rejection in and out of the UWB passband.
"An Ultra-Wideband Balanced Bandpass Filter Based on Defected Ground Structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 25, 133-144, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11082503
1. Wu, , C.-H., C.-H.Wang, and C. H. Chen, , "Novel balanced coupled-line bandpass filters with common-mode noise suppression," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, No. 2, 287-295, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.889147
2. Shi, , J. , and Xue, and , "Novel balanced dual-band bandpass filter using coupled stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 1, 19-21, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2035954
3. Shi, , J. and Q. Xue, "Balanced bandpass filters using center-loaded half-wavelength resonators," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech.,, Vol. 58, No. 4, 970-977, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2042839
4. Wu, , S.-M., C.-T. Kuo, and C.-H. Chen, , "Very compact full differential bandpass filter with transformer integrated using integrated passive device technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 113, 251-267, 2011.
5. Wu, S.-M., , C.-T. Kuo, P.-Y. Lyu, Y.-L. Shen, and C.-I. Chien, "Miniaturization design of full differential bandpass filter with coupled resonators using embedded passive device technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, , Vol. 121, 365-379, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11091404
6. Wong, , S.-K., F. Kung Wai Lee, S. Maisurah, M. N. B. Osman, and S.-J. Hui , "Design of 3 to 5 GHz cmos low noise amplifier for ultra-wideband (UWB) system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,, Vol. 9, 25-34, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09062202
7. Sayidmarie, , K. H. , Y. A. Fadhel, and , "Self-complementary circular disk antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 24, 111-122, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11072502
8. Diet, , A. , N. Ribiere-Tharaud, and , "An "F-gain" antenna for UWB-RFID," ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, , Vol. 20, , 111-123, 2011.
9. Najam, A. I., , Y. Duroc, and S. Tedjni, , "UWB-MIMO antenna with novel stub structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, , Vol. 19, 245-257, 2011.
10. Lim, , T.-B. and L. Zhu, "A differential-mode wideband bandpass filter on microstrip line for UWB application," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 10, 632-634, Oct. 2009.. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2029739
11. Lim, , T.-B. , L. Zhu, and , "Differential-mode ultra-wideband bandpass filter on microstrip line," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 22, 1124-1125, Oct. 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.1416
12. Lim, , T.-B , L. Zhu, and , "Highly selective differential-mode wideband bandpass filter for UWB application," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 3, 133-135, Mar. 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2104357
13. Chen, J.-X. , Q. Xue, and , "A novel differential bandpass filter based on double-sided parallel-strip line dual-mode resonator," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 50 , No. 7, 1733-1735, Jul. 2008.. doi:10.1002/mop.23493
14. Wu, S.-J., , C.-H. Tsai, and T.-L.Wu, "A novel wideband common-mode suppression filter for GHz differential signals using coupled patterned ground structure," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 4, 848-855, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2015087
15. Ahn, , D., , J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, , "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech. , Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, , Jan. 2001. doi:10.1109/22.899965
16. Lee, , J.-K. and Y.-S. Kim, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with improved upper stopband performance using defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 6, 316-318, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2047469
17. Tang, , I.-T., , D.-B. Lin, C.-M. Li, and M.-Y. Chiu, "Compact pentagon ultra-wide band-pass filter with good out-of-band performance," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 23, No. 13, 1695-1706, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789566950
18. Liu, , W. T., , C. H. Tsai, T. W. Han, and T. L. Wu, , "An embedded common-mode suppression filter for GHz differential signals using periodic defected ground plane," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 4, 248-250, Apr. 2008.. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.918883