This paper addresses the design and development of HiperLAN antennas meeting the IEEE 802.11a standards for wearable applications. Five such antennas are investigated for their performance characteristics, out of which three are conventional copper based antennas and the remaining two are fully fabric antennas. The results reveal that all the proposed antennas are suitable for HiperLAN applications yielding antenna gain in the order of 7-11 dBi. This study demonstrates that fully fabric antennas outperform the copper based antennas.
"Experimental Results on Hiperlan/2 Antennas for Wearable Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 25, 27-40, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11082701
1. Salonen, , P., L. Hurme, and , "A novel fabric WLAN antenna for wearable applications," Proceedings of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, , 700-703, Jun. 2003..
2. Salonen, , P. , H. Hurme, and , "Modeling of a fabric GPS Antenna forWearable Applications," Proceedings of IASTED International Conference Modeling and Simulation, Vol. 1, 18-23, 2003.
3. Tanaka, M. , J. H. Jang, and , "Wearable microstrip antenna ," Proceedings of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium and URSI North American Radio Science Meeting , Jun. 2003..
4. Sankaralingam, , S., B. Gupta, and , "A novel technique for determination of dielectric constant of fabric materials for wearable antennas ," Proceedings of International Conference on Near-Field Characterization and Imaging (ICONIC), Vol. 1, 247-250, Jun. 2009..
5. Sankaralingam, , S. , B. Gupta, and , "Development of textile antennas for body wearable applications and investigations on their performance under bent conditions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 53-71, , 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10032705
6. Sankaralingam, , S. , B. Gupta, and , "Performance study of a blue tooth antenna for wearable applications," Proceedings of International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), Vol. 1, Oct. 2009..
7. Sankaralingam, , S. , B. Gupta, and , "A circular disk microstrip WLAN antenna for wearable applications," Proc. of IEEE India Conference (INDICON), Vol. 1, , 513-516, , Dec. 2009..
8. Sankaralingam, , S. , B. Gupta, and , "A bluetooth antenna for on-body communications," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP),, Apr. 2010..
9. Garg, R. , P. Bhartia, and , Inder Bahl and Apisak Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, , Artech House Publishers, 2001.
10. IE3D Electromagnetic Simulator from Zeland Software Inc., , 2004..
11., "Internet resources, Applying Error Correction to Network Analyzer Measurements, Agilent application note 5965-7709E,", Mar. 27, 2002. doi:http://www.home.agilent.com.
12. Kraus, J. D., , R. J. Marhefka, and A. S. Khan, , "Antennas for all applications," Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Ltd., , 24-25, , 2006.