Unidirectional carbon/epoxy composite laminates are highly orthotropic, with their conductivity and permittivity being strongly dependent on the incident angle relative to the fibre orientation. This paper presents a novel frequency selective polarizing subreflector manufactured from unidirectional carbon fibre reinforced polymer (CFRP), placed a certain distance from a conducting ground also made from CFRP laminate. Theoretical analysis, computational simulation, and experimental measurements are conducted to investigate the effects of separation offset, laminate thickness and incident angle on the performance of a reflector manufactured from a unidirectional IM7/977-3 CFRP. The results show that this new reflector reduces the cross polarization at S-band by 13 dB while remaining a good reflector at X-band and the incident angle has minimal effect on the frequency response of the polarizer. The single reflector can support two orthogonal polarized frequencies, unlike traditional wire grid polarizer screens.
Paul J. Callus,
Chun H. Wang,
"A Frequency Selective Polarizer Using Carbon Fibre Reinforced Polymer Composites," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 25, 107-118, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11092610
1. Balanis, , C. A., , Antenna Theory, , 3rd Ed., Wiley, , Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
2. Datashvili, L., , H. Baier, J. Antonio, and H. Legay, "Mechanical investigation of a multi-layer revectarray for Ku-band space antennas," Aerospace Science and Technology,, 618-627, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ast.2006.06.007
3. Chu, , T.-S., R. H. Turrin, and , "Depolarization properties of offset reflector antennas ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 21, No. 3, , 339-345, May 1973. doi:10.1109/TAP.1973.1140479
4. Chu, , T.-S., N. J. Lincroft, and , "Method and apparatus for substantially reducing cross polarized radiation in offset reflector antennas," U.S. Patent 4 109 253, , Aug. 22, 1978.
5. Munk, ., , B. A, "Frequency Selective Surfaces Theory and Design," John Wiley & Sons, , 2000.
6. Agrawal, V. D., W. A. Imbriale, and , "Design of a dichroic Cassegrain subre°ector," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, , Vol. 27, No. 4, , 466-473, Jul. 1979. doi:10.1109/TAP.1979.1142119
7. Tienda, , C., , P. Otero, and M. P. Garcia, , "Design of a dichroic subre°ector for an antenna operating at S and X bands," EuCAP 2007, , 1-5, , Feb. 2008.
8. Sipus, , Z., , M. Bosiljevac, and S. Skokic, , "Analysis of curved frequency selective surfaces," EuCAP 2007,, 1-5, , Feb. 2008.
9. Salisbury, , W. W., , "Absorber body for electromagnetic wave," United States Patent 2 599 944, , Jun. 10, 1952.
10. Galehdar, , A., , K. J. Nicholson, W. S. T. Rowe, and K. Ghorbani, "The conductivity of unidirectional and quasi-isotropic carbon fibre composites," EUMC 2010, , 882-885, , Nov. 2010.
11. Galehdar, A., , W. S. T. Rowe, K. Ghorbani, P. J. Callus, S. John, and C. H.Wang, "The e®ect of ply orientation on the performance of antennas in or on carbon fiber composites ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 116, , 123-136, , 2011.