This paper presents a frequency reconfigurable cedar-shaped fractal antenna. The special shape of the patch makes it simpler to integrate RF switches to connect consecutive branches. The proper activation/deactivation of the switches alters the current flow and changes the resonance frequency. Simulated and measured results show the characteristics of the presented design.
Mervat A. Madi,
Ali H. Ramadan,
Karim Youssef Kabalan,
"A Reconfigurable Cedar-Shaped Microstrip Antenna for Wireless Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 25, 209-221, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11101204
1. Yang, , S., , Z. Chunna, P. Helen, A. Fathy, and V. Nair, , "Frequency-recon¯gurable antennas for multiradio wireless platforms," IEEE Microwave Magazine, , Vol. 10, No. 1, 66-83, , Feb. 2009.. doi:10.1109/MMM.2008.930677
2. Yu, , Y. H. , C. P. Ji, and , "Research of fractal technology in the design of multi-frequency antenna," Microwave Conference Proceedings (CJMW), , 1-4, , Apr. 2011.
3. Ramadan, , A., , M. Al-Husseini, K. Y. Kabalan, and A. El-Hajj, "Fractal-shaped reconfigurable antennas," Microstrip Antennas, Apr. 2011..
4. Balanis, , C. A., , Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, , John Wiley and Sons, , 2005.
5. Rao, P. N. , N. V. S. N. Sarma, and , "A single feed circularly polarized fractal shaped microstrip antenna with fractal slot," PIERS Proceedings,, 195-197, , Mar. 2008.
6. Ramadan, , A., , M. Al-Husseini, K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, and J. Costantine, , "A compact Sierpinski-carpet-based patch antenna for UWB applications," Proceedings of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APS-URSI 2009), Jun. 2009..
7. Al-Husseini, , M., , A. Ramadan, M. E. Zamudio, C. G. Christodoulou, A. El-Hajj, and K. Y. Kabalan, , "A UWB antenna combined with a reconfigurable bandpass filter for cognitive radio applications," The 2011 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA2011), Sep. 2011.
8. Tawk, Y., , M. Al-Husseini, S. Hemmady, A. R. Albrecht, G. Balakrishnan, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Implementation of a cognitive radio front-end using optically reconfigurable antennas," The 2010 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA2010), , Sep. 2010.
9. Cai, , X., , A. Wang, and W. Chen, , "A circular disc-shaped antenna with frequency and pattern reconfigurable characteristics,"," China-Japan Joint Microwave Conference Proceedings (CJMW), Apr. 2011.
10. De Luis, , J. R. , F. de Flaviis, and , "A reconfigurable dual frequency switched beam antenna array and phase shifter using PIN diodes," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2009, APSURSI'09, , Jun. 2009.
11. Hamid, , M. R., P. S. Hall, P. Gardner, and F. Ghanem, , "Frequency reconfigurable Vivaldi antenna," 2010 Proceedings of the Fourth, Apr. 2010..
12. Sondas, , A., , M. H. B. Ucar, and Y. E. Erdemli, , "Tunable loop-loaded printed dipole antenna design," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), , 1-4, Jul. 2010.
13. Al-Husseini, M., , J. Costantine, C. G. Christodoulou, S. E. Barbin, A. El-Hajj, and K. Y. Kabalan, "A reconfigurable frequency-notched UWB antenna with split-ring resonators," Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), , 618-621, Dec. 2010.
14. Ramadan, , A., , K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, S. Khoury, and M. Al-Husseini, "A reconfigurable U-Koch microstrip antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 93, 367-367, 2009..
15. Anagnostou, , D. E., , Anagnostou, D. E., G. Zheng, M. T. Chryssomallis, J. C. Lyke, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Design, fabrication, and measurements of an RF-MEMS-based self-similar reconfigurable antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, , 422-432, Feb. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863399
16. Guney, K., , K., , "Resonant frequency of a triangular microstrip antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, , Vol. 6, No. 9, Jul. 1993.
17. Ansoft HFSS, Pittsburg, PA 15219, .
18. Costantine, , J., , C. G. Christodoulou, and S. E. Barbin, "A new recon¯gurable multi band patch antenna," SBMO/IEEE MTT S International Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference, IMOC, , 75-78, , Oct. 2007. doi:10.1109/IMOC.2007.4404216
19. Zammit, J. A. and A. Muscat, , J. A. , A. Muscat, and , "Tunable microstrip antenna using switchable patches," Antennas and Propagation Conference, LAPC, 233-236, , Mar. 2008.
20. Wu, , T. Wang, A. Ren, and D. G. Michelson, , T. Wang, A. Ren, and D. G. Michelson, , "Implementation of recon¯gurable patch antennas using reed switches," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 10 2011.