We investigate experimentally the collisions of nonlinear envelope pulses in a left-handed transmission line with regularly spaced Schottky varactors. By measuring the test line, we successfully observed that when two nonlinear envelope pulses traveling in opposite directions collide, two new envelope pulses are developed. These new pulses satisfy the phase-matching condition, and their carrier wave frequencies are the sum of the carrier wave frequencies of the original pulses. This article describes the experimental observations, together with the fundamental properties and numerical performance prospects of the test line.
1. Narahara, K., "Collision of nonlinear envelope pulses developed in composite right- and left-handed transmission lines periodically loaded with Schottky varactors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 21, 1-12, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11050909
2. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmis- sion Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley, 2006.
3. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Signal reshaping in a transmission line with negative group velocity behaviour," Microwave Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2627-2633, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24688
4. Chi, P. and T. Itoh, "Dispersion engineering with CRLH metamaterials," Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Radio- Frequency Integration Technology, 128-131, 2009.
5. Kozyrev, A. B. and D. W. van der Weide, "Nonlinear wave propagation phenomena in left-handed transmission-line media," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 238-245, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.839305
6. Gupta, S. and C. Caloz, "Dark and bright solitons in left-handed nonlinear transmission line metamaterials," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int'l. Microwave Symp., 979-982, Honolulu, 2007.
7. Kafaratzis, A. and Z. Hu, "Envelope solitons in nonlinear left handed transmission lines," Proc. Metamaterials 2007, 22-24, 771-773, 2007.
8. Simion, S., R. Marcelli, G. Bartolucci, G. Sajin, and F. Craci- unoiu, "Nonlinear composite right/left-handed transmission line for frequency doubler and short pulse generation," Proc. Metamaterials 2008,, 492-494, 2008.
9. Gharakhili, F. G., M. Shahabadi, and M. Hakkak, "Bright and Dark soliton generation in a left-handed nonlinear transmission line with series nonlinear capacitors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 237-249, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09080106
10. Ogasawara, J. and K. Narahara, "Short envelope pulse propagation in composite right- and left-handed transmission lines with regularly spaced Schottky varactors," IEICE Electron. Express, Vol. 6, 1576-1581, 2009. doi:10.1587/elex.6.1576
11. Boyd, R. W., Nonlinear Optics, Academic Press, 2002.
12. Ogasawara, J. and K. Narahara, "Experimental characterization of left-handed transmission lines with regularly spaced Schottky varactors," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 7, No. 4, 608-614, 2010. doi:10.1587/elex.7.608