A design of multilayer dielectric resonator antenna transmitarray for fixed radio frequency identification (RFID) reader applications is presented at 5.8 GHz. Three layers square dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) elements are mounted on dielectric substrate and used as a unit cell in the transmitarray. A circularly polarized 9 × 9 square DRA transmitarray is designed at 5.8 GHz for far-field RFID applications. The transmitarray produces maximum gain of 20.2 dB. The right-hand circular polarization level is lower than -31 dB at the designed frequency with SLL of -22 dB. A design of 9 × 9 near-field focused DRA transmitarray for fixed RFID at 5.8 GHz is investigated. The properties of the near field-focused transmitarray are compared with that of the far field transmitarray designed at the same operating frequency.
1. Finkenzeller, , K., , RFID Handbook: Radio-frequency Identification Fundamentals and Applications, 2nd Ed., Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey, USA, , 2004..
2. Manish, , B. , M. Shahram, and , RFID Field Guide: Deploying Radio Frequency Identification Systems,, Prentice Hall PTR, , 2005..
3. Zainud-Deen, , S. H., , H. A. Malhat, and K. H. Awadalla, "Circular polarized dielectric resonator antenna for portable RFID reader using a single feed ," International Journal of Radio Frequency Identi¯cation & Wireless Sensor Networks,, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2011.
4. Zainud-Deen, S. H., , H. A. Malhat, and K. H. Awadalla, , "Octafilar helical antenna for handheld UHF-RFID reader," International Journal of Radio Frequency Identification & Wireless Sensor Networks, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2011..
5. Liao, , W. J., , S. H. Chang, Y. C. Chu, and W. S. Jhong, "A beam scanning phase array for UHF RFID readers with circularly polarized patches," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2383-2395, , 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793675646
6. Fan, , Z., , S. Qiao, J. T. Huang-Fu, and L.-X. Ran, , "A miniaturized printed dipole antenna with V-shaped ground for 2.45 GHz RFID readers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 71, , 149-158, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07022501
7. Zainud-Deen, , S. H., , H. A. Malhat, and K. H. Awadalla, , "Near-field focused DRA array for fixed RFID reader," International Journal of Radio Frequency Identification & Wireless Sensor Networks,, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2011.
8. Chou, , H. T., , T. M. Hung, N. N. Wang, H. H. Chou, C. Tung, and P. Nepa, "Design of a near field focused reflectarray antenna for 2.4 GHz RFID reader applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., , Vol. 59, No. 3, , 1013-1018, 2011.. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2103030
9. Chou, , H. T., , P. Hsueh, T. Hung, L. Kuo, and Y. Ze, , "Near-zone focused radiations of re°ectarray antennas for RFID applications at 0.9 and 2.4 GHz," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., , Vol. 1, 1727-1730, , 2011..
10. Chou, H. T., , P. Hsueh, T. Hung, L. Kuo, and Y. Ze, , "Numerical synthesis of reflectarray antenna for optimum near-field radiation at 2.4 GHz," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., , Vol. 1, 1731-1734, , 2011..
11. Huang, , J. , J. A. Encinar, and , "Reflectarray Antennas," John Wiley & Sons, Inc., , 2007..
12. Zaiund-Deen, , S. H., , S. M. Gaber, A. M. Abd-Elhady, A. A. Kishk, and K. H. Awadalla, "Wideband perforated rectangular dielectric resonator antenna reflectarray," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 113-116, , 2011.
13. Ryan, , C. G. M., , M. R. Chaharmir, J. Shaker, J. R. Bray, Y. M. M. Antar, and A. Ittipiboon, , "A wideband transmitarray using dual-resonant double square rings," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1486-1493, , 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2044356
14. Lau, , J. Y. , S. V. Hum, and , "Analysis and characterization of a multipole recon?gurable transmitarray element," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., , Vol. 59, No. 1, , 2011.. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090456
15. Petosa, , A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, , Artech House Inc., , Norwood, , 2007..
16. Schuhmann, , R., , T. Weiland, W. H. Schilders, E. J. Maten, and S. H. Houben, "Recent advances infinite integration technique for high frequency applications," Scientific Computing in Electrical Engineering, Vol. 4, 46-57, 2004..
17. Christopoulos, , C., , "The Transmission Line Modeling Method," The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.,, 1995.
18. Lam, , K., S. Kwok, Y. Hwang, and T. K. Lo, "Implementation of transmitarray antenna microstrip patches concept by using aperture-coupled," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference,, 433-436, 1997.
20. Adanel, , Y., , M. Wongl, C. Dale', and J. Wiartl, , "Near field power density characterization of radio base station antennas using spherical harmonics optimization techniques," European Conference on Wireless Technology, 121-124, 2004..
21. Hansen, , R. C., , "Focal region characteristics of focused array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1328-1337, 1985.. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143539