This work presents the results of the synthesis of a light-weight inexpensive reconfigurable planar array antenna. The antenna structure is based on four circular patches. The sources points and some discontinuities on the patches can be electronically reconfigured by means of radio-frequency (RF) switches in order to modify the radiation pattern. In particular, the main lobe could be steered towards a desired direction to obtain an optimal management of wireless resources. An experimental prototype has been realized and tested. Numerical and experimental results are reported and compared to assess the reconfigurable capabilities of the proposed antenna prototype.
"An Inexpensive Reconfigurable Planar Array for Wi-Fi Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12012304
1. Bellofiore, S., C. A. Balanis, J. Foutz, and A. S. Spanias, "Smart antenna system for mobile communication networks. Part 1: Overview and antenna design," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 44, No. 3, 145-154, 2002. doi:10.1109/MAP.2002.1039395
2. Donelli, M., S. Caorsi, F. G. de Natale, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "A versatile enhanced algorithm for planar array design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 11, 1533-1548, 2004. doi:10.1163/1569393042954893
3. Donelli, M., S. Caorsi, F. G. de Natale, A. Lommi, and A. Massa, "Planar antenna array control with genetic algorithms and adaptive array theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2919-2924, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.837523
4. Donelli, M., R. Azaro, F. G. de Natale, and A. Massa, "An innovative computational approach based on a particle swarm strategy for adaptive phased-arrays control," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 3, 888-898, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.869912
5. Donelli, M., R. Azaro, L. Fimognari, and A. Massa, "A planar electronically reconfigurable Wi-Fi band antenna based on a parasitic microstrip structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 623-626, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.913274
6. Wu, T., M. Li, S. Eom, S. Myong, K. Lim, J. Laskr, S. Jeon, and M. Tentzeris, "Switchable quad-band antennas for cognitive radio base station applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 1468-1476, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2044472
7. Mak, A. C. K., C. R. Rowell, R. D. Murch, and C. L. Mak, "Recon¯gurable multiband antenna designs for wireless communication devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1919-1928, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.895634
8. Jung, C. W., K. W. Kim, I. K. Kim, H. S. Kim, and A. Goudalev, "Reconfigurable antenna for concurrent operation over cellular and connectivity bands," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 1-4, 2008.
9. Bouis, D. and P. Febvre, "Antennas for short distance communications in cryogenic environment," Int. Journal Infrared Milli. Waves, 1156-1162, 2008. doi:10.1007/s10762-008-9412-3
10. Gupta, D., T. V. Filippov, A. F. Kirichenko, D. E. Kirichenko, I. V. Vernik, A. Sahu, S. Sarwana, P. Shevchenko, A. Talalaevski, and O. A. Mukhanov, "Digital channelizing radio frequency receiver," IEEE Appl. Supercond., 430-447, 2007. doi:10.1109/TASC.2007.898255
11. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, A. Lommi, and A. Massa, "Location and imaging of two-dimensional scatterers by using a particle swarm algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 4, 481-494, 2004. doi:10.1163/156939304774113089
12. Donelli, M. and A. Massa, "Computational approach based on a particle swarm optimizer for microwave imaging of two-dimensional dielectric scatterers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1761-1776, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.847068
13. Donelli, M., R. Azaro, F. G. de Natale, E. Zeni, and A. Massa, "Optimized design of a multifunction/multiband antenna for automotive rescue systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 392-400, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863387