This paper presents a novel planar antenna with a reconfigurable radiation pattern. The proposed layout consists of N ≥ 2 monospaced planar bowtie antennas selected one by one by means of a pair of PIN diodes. Experimental results referring to the case of N=2 and N=4 are reported and discussed demonstrating the feasibility and effectiveness of the proposed design approach.
"Planar Bowtie Antenna with a Reconfigurable Radiation Pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 28, 61-70, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12021104
1. Huff, G. H., J. Feng, S. Zhang, and J. T. Bernhard, "A novel radiation pattern and frequency reconfigurable single turn square spiral microstrip antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 2, 57-59, Feb. 2003. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.808714
2. Singh, G. and M. Kumar, "Design of frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna," 6th IEEE International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems (ICIIS), Kandy, Sri Lanka, Aug. 2011.
3. Chung, K., Y. Nam, T. Yun, and J. Choi, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with switchable polarization," ETRI Journal, Vol. 28, 379-382, Jun. 2006. doi:10.4218/etrij.06.0205.0132
4. Monti, G., L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "Patch antenna with reconfigurable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 13-23, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09061505
5. Piazza, D., P. Mookiah, M. D'Amico, and K. R. Dandekar, "Pattern and polarization reconfigurable circular patch antenna for MIMO systems," Proc. 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EUCAP, 1047-1051, Berlin, Germany, Mar. 23-27, 2009.
6. Nikolaou, S., R. Bairavasubramanian, C. Lugo, I. Carrasquillo, D. C. Thompson, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris , "Pattern and frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna using PIN diodes," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 439-448, Feb. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863398
7. Chen, W. H., J. W. Sun, X. Wang, Z. H. Feng, F. L. Chen, Y. Furuya, and A. Kuramoto, "A novel planar switched parasitic array antenna with steered conical pattern," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1883-1887, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.898643
8. Chen, S.-H., J.-S. Row, and K.-L. Wong, "Reconfigurable square-ring patch antenna with pattern diversity," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 472-475, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.889950
9. Rajagopalan, A., G. Gupta, A. S. Konanur, B. Hughes, and G. Lazzi, "Increasing channel capacity of an ultrawideband MIMO system using vector antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 10, 2880-2887, Oct. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.905938
10. Shi, M., J. Lu, and D. J. Ireland, "Smart patch antenna for indoor mobile wireless computing," Proc. Asia Pacific Conference, Vol. 3, Dec. 2005.
11. Migliore, M. D., D. Pinchera, and F. Schettino, "A simple and robust adaptive parasitic antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3262-3272, Oct. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.856361
12. Araki, K., A. Tanaka, and E. Matsumura, "Wide scanning phased array antenna design in Ka band," IEE Proceedings Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 150, No. 5, 379-384, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20030614
13. Haider, N., D. P. Tran, A. G. Roederer, and A. G. Yarovoy, "Reconfigurable L/S band phased array," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 23, 1265-1266, Nov. 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.2899
14. Yuan, Q., Q. Chen, and K. Sawaya, "Performance of adaptive array antenna with arbitrary geometry in the presence of mutual coupling," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 7, Jul. 2006.
15. Tantisopharak, T., A. Boonpoonga, C. Phongcharoenpanich, P. Sirisuk, and M. Krairiksh, "Adaptive array antenna using on-off and CMA algorithms for microwave RFID readers," IEICE Trans. on Commun., Vol. E94-B, No. 5, May 2011. doi:10.1587/transcom.E94.B.1153
16. Yang, X.-S., B.-Z. Wang, and Y. Zhang, "Pattern reconfigurable quasi-yagi microstrip antenna using a photonic band gap structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, 296-297, Jun. 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20283
17. Zhang, S., G. H. Huff, G. Cung, and J. T. Bernhard, "Three variations of a pattern reconfigurable microstrip parasitic array," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 45, No. 5, 369-372, Jun. 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20826
18. Fayad, H. and P. Record, "Multi-feed dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 341-356, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07071204
19. Monti, G., L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "Patch antenna with reconfigurable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 13-23, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09061505
20. Romano, N., G. Prisco, and F. Soldovieri, "Design of a reconfigurable antenna for ground penetrating radar applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 1-18, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09040802
21. Bailey, M. C., "Broad-band half-wave dipole," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 32, No. 4, 410-412, Apr. 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143318
22. Monti, G. and F. Congedo, "UHF rectenna using a bowtie antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 26, 181-192, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11102706