This paper describes the investigation of broadband interaction and harmonic suppression. A special dispersion shape used in broadband traveling-wave tubes (TWT) is obtained. The theoretical and simulation studies of negative dispersion are presented. On the basis of these studies, a broadband TWT used in microwave power module (MPM) is designed. Compared with the old TWT with flat dispersion, the new one with negative dispersion decreases the second harmonic content about 10 dB and improves the fundamental efficiency about 5% at the low end of the band. The new one operates with the beam voltage of 3600 V and current of 250 mA. The modified TWT is fabricated and the simulation results meet the measurements very well.
Chao Lei Wei,
"Simulation Modeling on Dispersion Shaping and Harmonic Suppression in Helix TWT from 2 GHz
to 6 GHz
," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 28, 181-193, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12021504
1. Zhang, , J.-L., Y.-H. Lu, and B. Yang, , "Stability design of the microwave power module," 2008 Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 754-756, 2008.. doi:10.1109/APEMC.2008.4559985
2. Armstrong, , C.-M., "Advances in microwave power modules," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology Proceedings, 2003.
3. Heinen, , V.-O. , K.-E. Kreischer, and , "Vacuum electronics development at northrop grumman," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology Proceedings, 293-294, 2004.
4. Hargreaves, , T.-A. , C.-M. Armstrong, and , "Ku-band MPM booster helix TWT design and validation," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology Proceedings, 2003.
5. Zhu, Z. J., , B. F. Jia, and D. M. Wan, "Effciency improvement of helix traveing-wave tube," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 13, 1747-1756, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308786375145
7. Singh, , A., , J.-E. Scharer, and H. John, "Second- and third- order signal predistortion for nonlinear distortion suppression in a TWT," IEEE Transactions on Electron. Devices, Vol. 52, No. 5, 709-717, 2005. doi:10.1109/TED.2005.845794
8. Hu, , M.-H., , F.-J. Liao, S.-Y. Ma, J. Zhang, and F.-J. Huang, "Investigation of dispersion and harmonic suppression in helix TWTs with studded slow-wave structure ," IEEE International Technologies for Wireless Communications, 427-430, 2007.
10. Datta, , S.-K., , P.-K. Jain, M.-D. Rajnarayan, and B.-N. Basu, "Nonlinear Eulerian hydrodynamical analysis of helix traveling-wave tubes for harmonic generation and its control," IEEE Transactions on Electron. Devices, Vol. 46, No. 2, 420-426, 1999. doi:10.1109/16.740910
11. Li, L., , J.-J. Feng, S.-L. Cai, and X.-F. Liang, " Experiment on TWT 3IM suppression using harmonic and IM3 injection," IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference, 105-106, 2008. doi:10.1109/IVELEC.2008.4556474
12. Singh, , A., J.-E. Scharer, J.-G. Wohlbier, and J.-H. Booske, "Sensitivity of harmonic injection and its spatial evolution for nonliner distortion suppression in a TWT," IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference, 178-179, 2004.
13. Zhao, , S.-L., "Research on dispersion shaping and harmonic suppression of CW broadband high power TWTs," Acta Electronica Sinica,, Vol. 27, No. 3, , 113-115, , 1999.
14. Singh, , G. , B. N. N. Basu, and , "Modal analysis of azimuthally periodic vane-loaded cylindrical waveguide interaction structure for GYRO-TWT," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 175-189, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07010601
15. Ghosh, , S., , P. K. Jain, and B. N. Basu, , "Analytical exploration of new tapered-geometry dielectric-supported helix slow-wave structures for broadband TWT's," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 15, 85, 1997.
16. Zhu, , Z.-J. , B.-F. Jia, and , "pai-mode stopband characteristics caused by asymmetries of support rod and loaded metal in helix structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14--15, 2077-2085, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787537829
17. Kesari, , V., "Beam-absent analysis of disc-loaded-coaxial waveg-uide for application in GYRO-TWT (Part-1)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 211-227, , 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071305
18. Kesari, , V., "Beam-absent analysis of disc-loaded-coaxial waveg- uide for application in GYRO-TWT (Part-2)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 229-243, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071505
19. Ding, , S., , B. Jia, F. Li, and Z. Zhu, "3D simulation of 18-vane 5.8 GHz magnetron," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14--15, 1925-1930, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787537946
20. Ding, S., , B. Jia, F. Li, Z. Zhu, G. Zhang, C. Wang, and L. Zhong, "Analysis of the energy output system for 5.8 GHz magnetron," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 22, No. 11--12, 1539-1546, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308786390102
21. Sangster, , A.-J., "Traveling-wave interaction in structures with nonzero impedance at harmonics of the drive frequency ," MOGA, 125-130, Sep. 1996.
22. Zhu, , Z.-J., , B.-F. Jia, and Z.-X. Luo, "Application of CAD simulation technology in microwave tube research and fabrication ," IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference Held Jointly with IEEE International Vacuum Electron Sources Conference, , 117-118, 2006.