In this paper, a new decoupled Unitary ESPRIT algorithm for two-dimensional (2-D) direction-of-arrival (DOA) estimation is presented. By exploiting the centro-symmetric array configurations of two parallel uniform linear arrays (TP-ULAs) and utilizing the via rotational invariance techniques, the proposed algorithm has advantages as listed below. First, the algorithm enables decoupling the estimation problem into a two-step estimation problem and obtains the automatically matched 2-D DOAs. Second, employing the elements of the array fully, the algorithm can estimate 2-D DOAs up to 2(M−1), where 2M is the sensor number of the array. Besides, the computational complexity of the proposed algorithm is lower than other representative 2-D DOA estimation methods. Simulation results are presented to show the effectiveness of the proposed method.
1. Chan, , A. Y. J. , J. Litva, and , "MUSIC and maximum likelihood techniques on two-dimensional DOA estimation with uniform circular array," IEE Proceedings --- Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 142, No. 3, 105-114, 1995. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:19951756
3. Van der Veen, , A. J., , P. B. Ober, and E. F. Deprettere, "Azimuth and elevation computation in high resolution DOA estimation," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 40, No. 7, 1828-1832, 1992. doi:10.1109/78.143456
4. Yin, , Q. Y., , R. W. Newcomb, and L. H. Zou, "Estimating 2-D angles of arrival via two parallel linear arrays," 1989 International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, ICASSP-89, Vol. 4, 2803 -2806, 1989.
5. Yin, , Q.-Y., et al., , "Relation between the DOA matrix method and the ESPRIT method," IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems,, Vol. 2, 1561-1564, 1990. doi:10.1109/ISCAS.1990.112432
6. Nehorai, , A. , E. Paldi, and , "Vector-sensor array processing for electromagnetic source localization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 2, 376-398, 1994. doi:10.1109/78.275610
7. See, , C. M. S. , A. B. Gershman, and , "Direction-of-arrival estimation in partly calibrated subarray-based sensor arrays IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing,", Vol. 52, No. 2, 329-338, 2004. doi:10.1109/TSP.2003.821101
8. Wu, , Y., G. Liao, and H. C. So, , "A fast algorithm for 2-D direction-of-arrival estimation," Signal processing, Vol. 83, No. 8, 1827-1831, 2003. doi:10.1016/S0165-1684(03)00118-X
9. Xia, T., , et al., "Decoupled estimation of 2-D angles of arrival using two parallel uniform linear arrays," IEEE Transactions onAntennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 9, 2627-2632, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.904143
10. Zoltowski, , M. D., M. Haardt, and C. P. Mathews, "Closed-form 2-D angle estimation with rectangular arrays in element space or beamspace via unitary ESPRIT," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 44, No. 2, 316-328, 1996. doi:10.1109/78.485927
11. Lee, , A., , "Centrohermitian and skew-centrohermitian matrices," Linear Algebra and Its Applications, Vol. 29, 205-210, 1980. doi:10.1016/0024-3795(80)90241-4
12. Haardt, , M., J. A. Nossek, and , "Unitary ESPRIT: How to obtain increased estimation accuracy with a reduced computational burden," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 43, No. 5, 1232-1242, , 1995. doi:10.1109/78.382406
13. Golub, , G. H. , C. F. Van Loan, and , Matrix Computations, , Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996.