With the development of China's Compass Navigation Satellite System (CNSS), the demand for terminal antennas is quite urgent. In CNSS system, dual-band antennas are more attractive, because they can provide both the navigation and communication functions. In addition, since the `BEIDOU' antennas operate at low frequencies, they are not easy to be installed due to their usually large volumes, limiting their practical application. In this paper, we present a dual-band miniaturized CNSS microstrip antenna based on high-permittivity ceramic substrate. This antenna works at S Band (2492 MHz±5 MHz, right-handed circular polarization, RHCP) and L Band (1616±5 MHz, left-handed circular polarization, LHCP). Numerical results show that the impedance bandwidth (S11<-10 dB), 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth and antenna gain at L Band are about 26 MHz, 6.5 MHz and 3.22 dB, respectively. While the impedance bandwidth (S11<-10 dB), 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth and antenna gain at S Band are about 127 MHz, 28 MHz and 4.72 dB, respectively. An experiment was carried out to verify our design and the measured results agree well with the simulation ones. In addition, by using high-permittivity ceramic (εr=16) as the substrate, the antenna keeps its performances with a reduced size by 80% comparing with the conventional ones using low-permittivity substrates. This makes it suitable for practical applications.
"Dual-Band Dual-Polarized Microstrip Antenna for Compass Navigation Satellite System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 30, 213-223, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12041714
1. Sun, D., W. Dou, L. You, X. Yan, and R. Shen, "A broadband proximity-coupled stacked microstrip antenna with cavity-backed configuration," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1055-1058, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2169389
2. Nakamura, T. and T. Fukusako, "Broadband design of circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using artificial ground ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2103-2110, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2143656
3. Pan, S. C. and K. L. Wong, "Design of dual-frequency microstrip antennas using a shorting-pin loading," IEEE International Symposium, 1998.
4. Antar, Y. M. M., A. I. Ittip Iboon, and A. K. Bhattachatyya, "A dual-frequency antenna using a single patch and an inclined slot," Microwave and Optional Technology Letters, Vol. 8, No. 6, 309-310, 1995. doi:10.1002/mop.4650080613
5. Gheethan, A. A. and D. E. Anagnostou, "Broadband and dual-band coplanar folded-slot antennas (CFSAs)," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 80-89, 2011.
6. Lee, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. M. Mak, and S. L. S. Yang, "On the use of U-slots in the design of dual-and triple-band patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 60-74, 2011.
7. Bo, L. , Y. Guan, Y. Jiang, and A. Zhang, "Compact dual band and circularly polarized microstrip antenna for CNSS," Cross Strait Quad-regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference, 401-403, 2011.
8. Sayem, A. T. M. and M. Ali, "Characteristics of a microstrip-fed miniature printed Hilbert slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 1-18, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05041801
9. Tiang, J. J., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and J. S. Mandeep, "Circular microstrip slot antenna for dual-frequency FRID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 499-512, 2011.
10. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Multi-band configurations of stub-loaded slotted rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 1, 89-103, 2010. doi:10.1109/MAP.2010.5466403
11. Heidari, A. A. , M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09032401
12. Nakano, H. and K. Vichien, "Dual-frequency patch antenna with a rectangular notch," Electronics Letters, Vol. 25, No. 16, 1067-1068, 1989. doi:10.1049/el:19890714
13. Ma, S.-L. and J.-S. Row, "Design of single-feed dual-frequency patch antenna for GPS and WLAN applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 9, 3433-3436, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2161453
14. Pozar, D. M. and S. M. Duffy, "A dual-band circularly polarized aperture-coupled stacked microstrip antenna for global positioning satellite," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 11, 1618-1625, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.650073
15. Zhou, Y. J., C. C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "Dual band proximity-fed stacked patch antenna for tri-band GPS application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 220-223, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.888476
16. Yang, S. L. S., K. F. Lee, and A. A. Kishk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07110604
17. Tian, X.-Q., S.-B. Liu, Y.-S. Wei, and X.-Y. Zhang, "Circularly polarized microstrip antenna with slots for Beidou (COMPASS) navigation system," Proceedings of International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics, 2010.
18. Liao, W. , Q.-X. Chu, and S. Du, "Tri-band circularly polarized stacked microstrip antenna for GPS and CNSS applications," ICMMT Proceedings, 2010.
19. Wu, S.-Q., S.-B. Liu, and Z. Guo, "Coaxial probe-fed circularly polarized microstrip antenna for Beidou RDSS application," ICMMT Proceedings, 2010.