The design of a fully planar microstrip crossover for beamforming networks is presented. The design starts by using a conventional half-wavelength square patch and two sets of orthogonal feeding lines. Rectangular and circular slots are introduced on the square patch in order to reduce the required area of the patch by 82%. The proposed crossover is fabricated and tested for performance confirmation. The measured data shows less than 1 dB insertion loss, more than 13 dB isolation, and around 0.1 ns deviation in the group delay across 12% fractional bandwidth. The proposed crossover is suitable for planar Butler matrix which is a key component in beamforming networks.
Amin M. Abbosh,
"Compact Planar Microstrip Crossover for Beamforming Networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 33, 123-132, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12081515
1. Chen, C. H., H. Wu, and W. Wu, "Design and implementation of a compact planar 4 x 4 microstrip butler matrix for wideband application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 24, 43-55, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11072614
3. Horng, T., "A rigorous study of microstrip crossovers and their possible improvements," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 9, 1802-1806, 1994. doi:10.1109/22.310591
4. Ben Kilani, M., M. Nedil, N. Kandil, M. C. E. Yagoub, and T. A. Denidni, "Novel wideband multilayer butler matrix using CB-CPW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 31, 1-16, 2012.
5. Bona, M., L. Manholm, J. Starski, and B. Svensson, "Low-loss compact Butler matrix for a microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 9, 2069-1075, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.802318
6. Kusiek, A., W. Marynowski, and J. Mazur, "Design of a broadband microstrip crossover for ultra-wideband applications," Micro. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1100-1104, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25146
7. Liu, W., Z. Zhang, Z. Feng, and M. Iskander, "A compact wideband microstrip crossover," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 5, 254-256, 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2190270
8. Denidni, T. and M. Nedil, "Experimental investigation of a new butler matrix using slotline technology for beamforming antenna arrays," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 7, 641-649, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20060199
9. U-Yen, K., E. Wollack, S. Moseley, T. Stevenson, W. Hsieh, and N. Cao, "Via-less microwave crossover using microstrip-CPW transitions in slotline propagation model," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp., 1029-1032, 2009.
10. Wang, Y., A. M. Abbosh, and B. Henin, "Wideband microwave crossover using double vertical microstrip-CPW interconnect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 32, 109-122, 2012.
11. Abbosh, A., S. Ibrahim, and M. Karim, "Ultra-wideband crossover using microstrip-to-coplanar waveguide transitions," EEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 10, 2012.
12. Abbosh, A., "Wideband planar crossover using two-port and four-port microstrip to slotline transitions," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 9, 465-467, 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2209632
13. Abbosh, A., "Planar wideband crossover with distortionless response using dual-mode microstrip patch," Micro. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 9, 2077-2079, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.27028
14. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Miniaturised patch hybrid couplers using asymmetrically loaded cross slots," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 9, 1427-1433, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0293
15. Zheng, S. Y., S. H. Yeng, W. S. Chan, K. F. Man, and S. H. Leung, "Size-reduced rectangular patch hybrid coupler using patterned ground plane," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 180-188, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2009040