This paper presents a novel wideband to narrow band reconfigurable log periodic aperture coupled patch array. The wide to narrow band reconfiguration is realized by closing a selected group of slot apertures, to deactivate the corresponding group of patches. The patches are fed with a modulated meander line through aperture slots. A wideband mode from 7 - 10 GHz and three selected narrow band modes at 7.1, 8.2 and 9.4 GHz are demonstrated. Potentially, the number of sub bands can be increased or decreased as can the bandwidth of the sub bands by selecting a specific number of active elements. To verify and demonstrate the proposed design method, a prototype has been developed with ideal switches. Very good agreements between the measured and simulated results are presented.
Mohamad Rijal Hamid,
Peter S. Hall,
"Wideband Reconfigurable Log Periodic Patch Array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 34, 123-138, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC12083001
1. Costa, F. and A. Monorchio, "Design of subwavelength tunable and steerable Fabry-Perot/leaky wave antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 467-481, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10111702
2. Ramadan, A. H., K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, S. Khoury, and M. Al-Husseini, "A reconfigurable U-koch microstrip antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 355-367, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09050605
3. AbuTarboush, H. F., et al. "Reconfigurable tri-band H-shaped antenna with frequency selectivity feature for compact wireless communication systems," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, 1675-1682, November 18, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0518
4. Han, T. Y. and C. T. Huang, "Reconfigurable monopolar patch antenna," Electronics Letters,, Vol. 46, 199-U22, Febuary 4, 2010.
5. Mirkamali, A. and P. S. Hall, "Wideband frequency reconfiguration of a printed log periodic dipole array," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 861-864, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25040
6. Tawk, Y. and C. G. Christodoulou, "A new reconfigurable antenna design for cognitive radio," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1378-1381, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2039461
7. Ghanem, F., et al. "Switched UWB to narrowband planar monopole antenna," 2010 Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-3, April 12-16, 2010.
8. Gheethan, A. A. and D. E. Anagnostou, "The design of reconfigurable planar log-periodic dipole array (LPDA) using switching elements," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society nternational Symposium, APSURSI'09, 1-4, June 1-5, 2009.
9. West, D. N. and S. K. Sharma, "Frequency reconfigurable compact multiband quasi-log periodic dipole array (QLPDA) antenna for wireless communications," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-4, July 11-17, 2010.
10. Ismail, M. F., et al., "Wideband to narrowband frequency reconfiguration using PIN diode," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, 1407-1412, June 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26826
11. Yu, C., et al., "Ultrawideband printed log-periodic dipole antenna with multiple notched bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 59, 725-732, March 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2103010
12. Mruk, J. R., et al., "Band rejection methods for planar log-periodic antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 2288-2294, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048873
13. Chen, S.-Y., et al., "Uniplanar log-periodic slot antenna fed by a CPW for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 256-259, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.873956
14. Lin, G., et al., "A band-notched UWB log-periodic dipole antenna fed by strip line," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband (ICUWB), Vol. 1, 1-4, September 20-23, 2010.
15. Green, P. B. and P. E. Mayes, "50-Ohm log-periodic monopole array with modulated-impedance microstrip feeder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 22, 332-334, 1974. doi:10.1109/TAP.1974.1140786
16. Hamid, M. R., et al., "Frequency reconfigurable log periodic patch array," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, 1648-1650, December 9, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.2941
17. Hall, P. S., "Multioctave bandwidth log-periodic microstrip antenna array," IEE Proceedings H on Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 133, 127-136, 1986. doi:10.1049/ip-h-2.1986.0021
18. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Edition, A John Wiley and Sons Inc. Publication, 2005.
19. Ingerson, P. and P. Mayes, "Log-periodic antennas with modulated impedance feeders," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 16, 633-642, 1968. doi:10.1109/TAP.1968.1139275
20. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Edition, Wiley, Chichester, New York, 1998.
21. Hall, P. S., et al., "Reconfiguration of Vivaldi and log periodic," Proc. Allerton Antenna Symposium, September 22-23, 2009.