This paper presents an experimental investigations and analyses of ultra-wideband antenna diversity techniques and their effect on the onbody radio propagation channels. Various diversity-combining techniques are applied to highlight; how the overall system performance may be enhanced. Diversity gain is calculated for five different on-body channels and the impact of variation in the spacing between diversity branch antennas is discussed, with an emphasis on mutual coupling, correlation and power imbalance. Results demonstrate the repeatability and reliability of the analysis with error variations as low as 0.8 dB. The study highlights the significance of diversity techniques for non-line-of-sight propagation scenarios in body-centric wireless communications.
Qammer Hussain Abbasi,
"Experimental Investigation of Ultra Wideband Diversity Techniques for on-Body Radio Communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 34, 165-181, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC12083102
1. Hall, P. S. and Y. Hao, Antennas and Propagation for Body-centric Wireless Communications , Artech House, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2018564
2. Khan, I., P. S. Hall, A. A. Serra, A. R. Guraliuc, and P. Nepa, "Diversity performance analysis for on-body communication channels at 2.45 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 956-963, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014530
3. Jakes, W. C., Microwave Mobile Communications, Wiley, New York, 1974.
4. Allen, B., M. Dohler, E. Okon, W. Q. Malik, A. K. Brown, and D. Edwards, UWB Antenna and Propagation for Communications, Radar and Imaging, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2007.
5. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, Nov. 1987. doi:10.1109/T-VT.1987.24115
6. Khan, I. and P. S. Hall, "Multiple antenna reception at 5.8 and 10 GHz for body-centric wireless communication channels," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 1, 248-255, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2009742
7. Correia, L. M., Mobile Broadband Multimedia Networks Techniques, Models and Tools for 4G, Elsevier Ltd., 2006.
8. Colburn, J. S., Y. Rahmat-Samii, M. A. Jensen, and G. J. Pottie, "Evaluation of personal communications dual-antenna handset diversity performance," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 47, No. 3, 737-746, Aug. 1998. doi:10.1109/25.704829
9. Rappaport, T. S., Wireless Communications Principles and Practice, Prentice Hall, Inc., New Jersey, 1996.
10. Dietrich, C. B. J., K. Dietze, J. R. Nealy, and W. L. Stutzman, "Spatial, polarization, and pattern diversity for wireless handheld terminals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 9, 1271-1281, Sep. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.947018
11. Karaboikis, M., C. Soras, G. Tsachtsiris, and V. Makios, "Three-branch antenna diversity systems on wireless devices using various printed monopoles," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, May 11-16, 2003.
12. Turkmani, A. M. D., A. A. Arowojolu, P. A. Jefford, and C. J. Kellett, "An experimental evaluation of the performance of two-branch space and polarization diversity schemes at 1800 MHz," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 44, No. 2, 318-326, May 1995. doi:10.1109/25.385925
13. Serra, A. A., P. Nepa, G. Manara, and P. Hall, "Diversity measurements for on-body communication systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, No. 1, 361-363, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.902046
14. Cotton, S. L. and W. G. Scanlon, "Channel characterization for singleand multiple-antenna wearable systems used for indoor body-to-body communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 980-990, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014576
15. Cotton, L. and G. Scanlon, "Characterization and modeling of onbody spatial diversity within indoor environments at 868 MHz," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 8, No. 1, 176-185, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/T-WC.2009.070440
16. Kaiser, T. and F. Zheng, "Ultra Wideband Systems with MIMO," John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2010.
17. Chang, W. J., W. J., J. H. Tarng, and S. Y. Peng, "Frequency-space-polarization on UWB mimo performance for body area network applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 577-580, Jan. 2009.
18. Sibille, A. and S. Bories, "Spatial diversity for UWB communications," 5th European (Conf. Publ. No. 492) Personal Mobile Communications Conference, 367-370, 2003. doi:10.1049/cp:20030279
19. D'Errico, R., A. Sibille, A. Giorgetti, and M. Chiani, "Antenna diversity in UWB indoor channel," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-wideband, ICUWB, 13-16, 2008.
20. Chen, Y., J. Teo, J. C. Y. Lai, E. Gunawan, S. L. Kay, B. S. Cheong, and P. B. Rapajic, "Cooperative communications in ultra-wideband wireless body area networks: Channel modeling and system diversity analysis," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 27, No. 1, 5-16, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2009.090102
21. Maria-Gabriella, D. B., T. Kaiser, A. F. Molish, I. Oppermann, C. Politan, and D. Porcino, UWB Communication Systems: A Comprehensive Overview, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2006.
22. Roy, V., S. Oestges, C. Horlin, F. Doncker, and P. Opera, "Ultrawideband spatial channel characterization for body area networks," Proceedings of European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Edinburgh, UK, Nov. 11-16, 2007.
23. Van Roy, S., C. Oestges, F. Horlin, and P. de Doncker, "A comprehensive channel model for UWB multisensor multiantenna body area networks," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 163-170, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2036280
24. Abbasi, Q. H., A. Alomainy, and Y. Hao, "Antenna diversity technique for enhanced ultra wideband radio performance in body-centric wireless networks," European Wireless Technology Conference (EuWIT), Paris, France, Nov. 27-28, 2010.
25. Abbasi, Q. H., A. Alomainy, and Y. Hao, "Ultra wideband antenna diversity techniques for on/off-body radio channel characterisation," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 209-212, Hong Kong, Mar. 5-7, 2012.
26. Rahman, A., A. Alomainy, and Y. Hao, "Compact body-worn coplanar waveguide fed antenna for UWB body-centric wireless communications," Proceedings of European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Edinburgh, U.K., Nov. 11-16, 2007.
27. Alomainy, A., A. Sani, J. Santas, A. Rahman, and Y. Hao, "Transient characteristics of wearable antennas and radio propagation channels for ultra wideband body-centric wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 1, 875-884, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014588
28. Sani, A., Y. Hao, Y. Zhao, S. L. Lee, and G. Z. Yang, "A subject-specific numerical study in UWB body-centric wireless communications," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Barcelona, Spain, Apr. 12-16, 2010.