In this letter, a novel compact tri-band bandpass filter (BPF) with high selectivity is presented. The proposed tri-band performance measure is realized by using eight sets of resonators, i.e., two- and three-section stepped impedance resonators (SIRs). The three-section SIR is designed for determining the three passbands and providing the electric coupling, while the two-section SIR is used for determining each passband respectively and providing the magnetic coupling. Then, coupling structures with two transmission zeros near each passband edge are presented, therefore, the band selectivity of the filter is much improved. The three passband frequencies could be independently designed and tuned. This novel tri-band BPF is fabricated and the measured results are in good agreement with the full-wave simulation results.
"A Novel Triple Passband Filter Design Method Based on Stepped Impedance Resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 33, 199-211, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12090506
1. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Edition, Ch. 8, Wiley, New York, 1998. doi:10.1109/13.53636
2. Weng, M.-H. and H.-W. Wu, "A novel triple-band bandpass filter using multilayer-based substrates for WiMAX," Proc. Eur. Microw. Conf., 325-328, Oct. 2007.
6. Wang, X.-H., B.-Z. Wang, and K. J. Chen, "Compact broadband dual-band bandpass filters using slotted ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 151-166, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08030101
7. Fan, J.-W., C.-H. Liang, and X.-W. Dai, "Design of cross-coupled dual-band filter with equal-length split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 285-293, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07060904
8. Wu, M.-S., Y.-Z. Chueh, J.-C. Yeh, and S.-G. Mao, "Synthesis of triple-band and quad-band bandpass filters using lumped-element coplanar waveguide resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 433-451, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09021302
9. Liu, Y., W.-B. Dou, and Y.-J. Zhao, "A tri-band bandpass filter realized using tri-mode T-shape branches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 425-444, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10010902
10. Chen, W.-Y., M.-H. Weng, S.-J. Chang, H. Kuan, and Y.-H. Su, "A new tri-band bandpass filter for GSM, WiMAX and ultra-wideband responses by using asymmetric stepped impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 365-381, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11122010
11. Lin, W.-J., C.-S. Chang, J.-Y. Li, D.-B. Lin, L.-S. Chen, and M.-P. Houng, "A new approach of dual-band filters by stepped impedance simplified cascaded quadruplet resonators with slot coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 19-28, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09042801
12. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meander-loop resonator and CSRR DGS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07090301
13. De Paco, P., O. Menendez, and J. Marin, "Dual-band filter using non-bianisotropic split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 51-58, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL09120205
14. Sagawa, M., M. Makimoto, and S. Yamashita, "Geometrical structures and fundamental characteristics of microwave stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 45, No. 7, 1078-1084, 2002. doi:10.1109/22.598444
15. Lin, X. M. and Q. X. Chu, "Design of triple-band bandpass filter using tri-section stepped-impedance resonators," Proc. Int. Microw. Millimeter Wave Tech. Conf., 798-800, Guilin, China, Apr. 2007.
16. Chu, Q. X. and X. M. Lin, "Advanced triple-band bandpass filter using tri-section SIR," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 4, 295-296, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20083096
17. Luo, S., L. Zhu, and S. Sun, "Compact dual-mode triple-band bandpass filters using three pairs of degenerate modes in a ring resonator," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 59, No. 5, 1222-1229, May 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2123106
18. Chen, F. C. and Q. X. Chu, "Design of compact tri-band bandpass filters using assembled resonators," IEEE Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 165-171, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2008963
19. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications," Wiley, New York, 2001.