A symmetrical terahertz metamaterial for dual-band operation is designed and fabricated. The proposed metamaterial is composed of periodically arranged cruciform and square metal loops. Due to the symmetrical structure, this metamaterial is insensitive with the polarization of the incident wave. Transmission and reflection characteristics of the proposed structure are simulated using Ansoft HFSS, and the negative permittivity is figured out in 378-500 GHz and 626-677 GHz bands. The designed sample is fabricated on a gallium arsenide layer, and experiments are performed in Terahertz Time-Domain Spectroscopy. The experimental results agree well with the simulations.
"A Symmetrical Dual-Band Terahertz Metamaterial with Cruciform and Square Loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 33, 259-267, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12091307
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of permittivity and permeability," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, Jan.-Feb. 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, Nov. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
3. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Loop-wire medium for investigating plasmons at microwave frequency," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
4. Yen, T. J., W. J. Padilla, N. Fang, D. C. Vier, D. R. Smith, J. B. Pendry, D. N. Basov, and X. Zhang, "Terahertz magnetic response from artificial materials," Science, Vol. 303, No. 5663, 1494-1496, Mar. 2004. doi:10.1126/science.1094025
5. Baena, J. D., R. Marques, F. Medina, and J. Martel, "Artificial magnetic metamaterial design by using spiral resonators," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 69, 014402(1)-(5), 2004.
6. Wang, D., L. Ran, H. Chen M. Mu, J. A. Kong, and B. I. Wu, "Experimental validation of negative refraction of metamaterial composed of single side paired S-ring resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 90, 254103(1)-(3), 2007.
7. Wu, B.-I., W.Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04070701
8. Sabah, C., "Multi-resonant metamaterial design based on concentric V-shaped magnetic resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 8-9, 1105-1115, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.710537
9. Gu, J. Q., J. G. Han, X. C. Lu, R. Singh, Z. Tian, Q. R. Xing, and W. L. Zhang, "A close-ring pair terahertz metamaterial resonating at normal incidence," Optics Express, Vol. 12, No. 22, 20307-20312, Oct. 2009.
10. Yuan, Y., C. Bingham, T. Tyler, S. Palit, T. H. Hand, and W. J. Padilla, "A dual-resonant terahertz metamaterial based on single-particle electric-field-coupled resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 19, 191110, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.3026171
11. Yuan, Y., C. Bingham, T. Tyler, S. Palit, T. H. Hand, and W. J. Padilla, "Dual-band planar electric metamaterial in terahertz regime," Optics Express, Vol. 16, No. 13, 9746-9752, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.009746
12. Ekmekci, E. and G. Turhan-Sayan, "Single loop resonator: Dual-band magnetic metamaterial structure," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 5, Mar. 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.3027
13. Chen, Z. C., R. Mohsen, Y. D. Gong, T. C. Chong, and M. H. Hong, "Realization of variable three-dimensional terahertz metamaterial tubes for passive resonance tunability," Adv. Mater., Vol. 24, OP143-OP147, 2012. doi:10.1002/adma.201102786
14. García-Meca, C., R. Ortu~no, F. J. Rodríguez-Fortuño, J. Martí, and A. Martínez, "Double-negative polarization-independent fishnet metamaterial in the visible spectrum," Opt. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 10, 1603-1605, 2009. doi:10.1364/OL.34.001603
15. Zhu, B., Z. Wang, C. Huang, Y. Feng, J. Zhao, and T. Jiang, "Polarization insensitive metamaterial Absorber with wide incident angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 231-239, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011110
16. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Design, fabrication, and testing of double negative metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1516-1529, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.813622
17. Majid, H. A., M. K. A. Rahim, and T. Masri, "Microstrip antenna's gain enhancement using left-handed metamaterial structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 235-247, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09071301