In this paper in order to reduce the size and improve the performance of microwave filter, novel single and dual band matched band-stop filters are developed. A stepped impedance dual mode resonator is used, resulting in a much more compact size, compared to the conventional dual mode ring resonator that has an electrical length of 360˚. The proposed prototype is able to achieve high stop band attenuation even with low Q factor values. Moreover, for the short electrical length of this filter, the first spurious resonance occurs at 4.7 times the fundamental resonance frequency. Therefore, the proposed technique selectively removes only the fundamental resonance frequency when such a resonator is implemented. A theoretical analysis, along with an experimental prototype is proposed in order to demonstrate the feasibility of these proposed networks.
Amine Adoum Bakhit,
Peng Wen Wong,
"A Novel Single and Dual-Band Miniaturized Matched Band-Stop Filter Using Stepped Impedance Resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 33, 229-241, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12091602
1. Hunter, I. C., Theory and Design of Microwave Filters, 194-235, IEE, London, UK, 2001.
2. Guyette, A. C., I. C. Hunter, R. D. Pollard, and D. R. Jachowski, "Perfectly-matched band-stop filters using lossy resonators," 2005 IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Jun. 2005.
3. Wolff, I., "Microstrip bandpass filter using degenerate modes of microstrip ring resonator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 8, No. 12, 302-303, 1972. doi:10.1049/el:19720223
4. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Microstrip bandpass filter using degenerate modes of a novel meander loop resonator," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 5, No. 11, 371-372, Nov. 1995. doi:10.1109/75.473539
5. Curitis, J. A. and S. J. Fiedziuszko, "Miniature dual mode microstrip filters," 1991 IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 443-446, 1991. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.1991.147031
6. Song, K. and Q. Xue, "Novel broadband bandpass filters using Y-haped dual-mode microstrip resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 19, No. 9, 548-550, Nov. 1995. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2027058
7. Wong, P. W., I. C. Hunter, and R. D. Pollard, "Matched band-stop resonator with tunable K-inverter," Proc. 37th Eur. Microw. Conf., 664-667, 2007.
8. Wen, W. P., "Miniaturized stepped-impedance dual-mode resonator filter," 2011 IEEE International Conference on Microwave Technology & Computational Electromagnetics (ICMTCE), 174-176, May 22-25, 2011.
9. Chang, K., Microwave Ring Circuits and Antennas, Wiley, New York, 1996.
10. Shaman, H. and J.-S. Hong, "Wideband bandstop filter with cross-coupling," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1780-1785, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.901600
11. Tu, W.-H. and K. Chang, "Compact microstrip bandstop filter using open stub and spurline," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 4, 268-270, Apr. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.845739
12. Tu, W.-H. and K. Chang, "Compact second harmonic-suppressed bandstop and bandpass filters using open stubs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2497-2502, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.875802
13. Chin, K.-S., J.-H. Yeh, and S.-H. Chao, "Compact dual-band bandstop filters using stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 12, 849-851, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.910481
14. Jeng, Y. H., S. F. R. Chang, Y. M. Chen and Y. J. Huang, "A novel self-coupled dual-mode ring resonator and its applications to bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 5, 2146-2152, May 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.873632
15. Levy, R., R. V. Snyder, and S. Shin, "Bandstop filters with extended upper passbands," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2503-2515, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.875804
16. Yang, R.-Y., M.-H. Weng, C.-Y. Hung, H.-J. Chen, and M.-P. Houng, "Novel compact microstrip interdigital bandstop filters," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1022-1025, Aug. 2004. doi:10.1109/TUFFC.2004.1324407
17. Hsieh, M.-Y. and S.-M. Wang, "Compact and wideband microstrip bandstop filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 7, 472-474, Jul. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.851572
18. Uchida, H., H. Kamino, K. Totani, et al. "Dual band rejection filter for distortion reduction in RF transmitters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2550-2556, Nov. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.837161
19. Rambeba, K., M. Y. N. Chia, K. M. Chan, et al. "Design of multiple stop-band filters for interference suppression in UWB applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 8, 3333-3338, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.877813
20. Chin, K.-S. and C.-K. Lung, "Miniaturized microstrip dual-bandbandstop filters using tri-section stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 10, 37-48, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09080306
21. Cui, D., Y. Liu, Y. Wu, S. Li, and C. Yu, "A compact bandstop filter based on two meandered parallel-coupled lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 271-279, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11061902
22. Zhu, Y. Z., X. J. Zhang, and G. Y. Fang, "General design of compact T-shaped line filter with ultra-wide stopband," PIERS Proceedings, 1555-1558, Moscow, Russia, Aug. 18-21, 2009.
23. Wu, Y. and Y. Liu, "A coupled-line band-stop filter with three-section transmission-line stubs and wide upper pass-band performance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 407-421, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11072003
24. Fallahzadeh, S. and M. Tayarani, "A compact microstrip bandstop filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 167-172, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09082407
25. Xiao, J.-K. and Y.-F. Zhu, "New U-shaped DGS bandstop filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 179-191, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11091805
26. Wong, P. W., "Miniaturized dual mode microwave filter," IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC, Yokohama, Japan, 2010.
27. Hamzah, S. Y. Muhamad, B. H. Ahmad, and P. W. Wong, "Multiband matched bandstop filter," IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics (APACE 2010), Malaysia, 2010.
28. Wang, L. and B.-R. Guan, "Compact dual-mode DGS resonators and filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 47-55, 2011.
29. Ning, H., J. Wang, Q. Xiong, and L.-F. Mao, "Design of planar dual and triple narrow-band bandstop filters with independently controlled stop bands and improved spurious response," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 131, 259-274, 2012.