A slim wideband patch antenna designed for the ultra-high frequency (UHF) band radio frequency identification (RFID) tag is presented in this paper, which can be mounted on flat or curved metallic surfaces directly. The presented antenna is fabricated on a very thin (only 0.5 mm) PET substrate (εr=3.8, tanδ=0.02). The proposed design consists of tow coplanar patches which are electrically connected to the metallic ground through two symmetrical shorting walls. Double symmetrical U-shaped slots are etched out to improve the antenna bandwidth. A perfect matching between antenna and tag chip can be obtained by varying the geometry parameters of the slots. The simulated bandwidth is about 97 MHz, which covers the Europe and North America UHF RFID frequency range. The measured maximum reading range of the proposed antenna can be up to 5 m when the tag is mounted on a metal plate whose size is 150×150×8 mm3.
1. Amin, Y., Q. Chen, H. Tenhunen, and L. R. Zheng, "Performance-optimized quadrate bowtie RFID antennas for cost-effective and eco-friendly industrial applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 126, 49-64, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12020805
2. Li, X. and J. Liao, "Eye-shaped segmented reader antenna for near-field UHF RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 481-493, 2011.
3. Tang, T. and G. H. Du, "A thin folded dipole UHF RFID tag antenna with shorting pins for metallic objects," KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems, Vol. 6, No. 9, Sep. 2012.
4. Cho, H. G., N. R. Labadie, and S. K. Sharma, "Design of an embedded-feed type microstrip patch antenna for UHF radio frequency identification tag on metallic objects," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, 1232-1239, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0407
5. Chen, S. L., S. K. Kuo, and C. T. Lin, "A metallic RFID tag design for steel-bar and wire-rod management application in the steel industry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 195-212, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09021304
6. Tiang, J. J., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and J. S. Mandeep, "Circular microstrip slot antenna for dual-frequency RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 499-512, 2011.
7. Cho, C., H. Choo, and I. Park, "Design of planar RFID tag antenna for metallic objects," Electronics Letter, Vol. 4, 175-177, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20083712
8. Sharma, A., A. Syed, and A. R. Harish, "Miniature slotted RFID tag antenna for metallic objects," 2011 International Conference on Communications and Signal Processing, 353-357, Mar. 2011. doi:10.1109/ICCSP.2011.5739336
9. Mao, L., R. Song, Y. Li, and L. Chen, "UHF RFID tag antenna design and a novel antenna verification development platform," 4th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, 1-3, Oct. 2008.
10. Kuo, S.-K. and L.-G. Liao, "An analytic model for impedance calculation of an RFID metal tag," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 603-607, 2010.
11. Bjorninen, T., A. A. Babar, A. Z. Elsherbeni, L. Ukkonen, L. Sydanheimo, and J. Kallioinen, "Compact metal mountable UHF RFID tag on a Barium Titanate based substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 26, 43-57, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11110208
12. Yang, P. H., Y. Li, L. Jiang, W. C. Chew, and T. T. Ye, "Compact metallic RFID tag antennas with a loop-fed method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 12, 4454-4462, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2165484
13. Chen, S. L., "A miniature RFID tag antenna design for metallic," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, No. 1, 1043-1045, Dec. 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2032252
14. Koskinen, T. V., H. Rajagopalan, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A thin multi-slotted dual patch UHF-band metal-mountable RFID tag antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 1, Oct. 2011.
15. Koskinen, T. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Metal-mountable microstrip RFID tag antenna for high impedance microchip," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2791-2795, Mar. 2009.
16. Rajagopalan, H. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A novel conformal all-surface mount RFID tag antenna design," 2009 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1109/APS.2009.5171824
17. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 47, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999.
18. Reed, S., "Patch antenna size reduction by means of inductive slots," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 29, 79-81, Apr. 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1089
20. Harish, A. R., A. Gupta, H. Purohit, G. S. Lamba, and N. Grover, "Performance analysis of RFID tag antennas," International Journal on Wireless and Optical Communications, Vol. 5, No. 1, 60-68, Sep. 2008.