The wideband and omnidirectional performance of a printed dipole antenna with a novel coupling feed structure is presented. Besides using printed dipole for omnidirectional radiation patterns, the coupling feed structure, which includes the transmission line coupling to a slot line to effectively improve the impedance matching, can be used for bandwidth enhancement. A wideband impedance characteristic of about 45.6% for VSWR ≤2 ranging from 1.54 to 2.45 GHz is obtained. The omnidirectional radiation patterns in the whole operation bands are achieved which the un-roundness in H-plane is less than 1.6dB. It is sufficient for accommodating recent wireless communication services such as DCS1800, PCS1900, UMTS, IMT2000, Wibro, etc. Furthermore, the proposed antenna should be a good candidate as a unit of the omnidirectional array. A prototype has been fabricated and tested, and the experimental results validate the design procedure.
"Wideband Omnidirectional Printed Dipole Antenna with Coupling Feed for Wireless Communication Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 38, 89-99, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13012010
1. Tong, K. F., K. Li, T. Matsui, and M. Izutsu, "Wideband coplanar waveguide fed coplanar patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 406-409, 2001.
2. Wilkinson, W., "A class of printed circuit antennas," IEEE Antennas Propag. Symp. Dig., 270-274, 1974.
3. Huang, J.-F. and J.-W. Liang, "Pinted and double-side dipole array antennas with a parallel reflector," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 2008.
4. Agrawal, A. K. and W. E. Powell, "A printed circuit cylindrical array antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, 1288-12893, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143760
5. Zhang, Z.-Y., G. Fu, S.-L. Zuo, T. Ran, and S.-X. Gong, "Printed 6-element dipole array antenna for omnidirection applied in WiMAX," The 6th International Conference on Wireless Communications Networking and Mobile Computing, 1-4, 2010. doi:10.1002/wcm.909
6. Li, X., L. Yang, S. X. Gong, and Y. J. Yang, "Dual-band and wideband design of a printed dipole antenna integrated with dual-band balun," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 165-174, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL08120504
7. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, Y.-J. Yang, and J.-F. Liu, "A compact folded printed dipole antenna for UHF RFID reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 47-54, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL08121303
8. Kim, J., B. M. Lee, and Y. J. Yoon, "Wideband printed dipole antenna for multiple wireless services," Applied Microwave & Wireless, 153-156, Sep. 2002.
9. Levine, E., S. Shtrikman, and D. Treves, "Double-sided printed arrays with large bandwidth," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 135, 54-59, 1988.
10. Yuan, H. W., S. X. Gong, X. Wang, and W.-T. Wang, "Wideband printed dipole antenna using a novel PBG structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, 1862-1865, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24466
11. Edward, B. and D. Rees, "A broad-band printed dipole with integrated balun," Microw. J., 339-344, 1987.
12. Fan, S. T., Y. Z. Yin, W. Hu, and B. Li, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed dipole antenna for wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, 1585-1590, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26883
13. Fan, Z. G., S. Qiao, J. T. Huangfu, and L. X. Ran, "A miniaturized printed dipole antenna with V-shaped ground for 2.45 GHz RFID readers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 149-158, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07022501
14. He, Q. Q., B. Z. Wang, and J. He, "Wideband and dual-band design of a printed dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 1-4, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.913325
15. Chen, W. S. and S. H. Cheng, "Characteristics of a planar dipole antenna with a parasitic element," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Charleston, SC, 2009.
16. Kuo, F.-Y. and H.-T. Hsu, "Omni-directional dipole-based wideband planar antenna with capacitive end loading for Wimax applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 959-969, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791285263
17. Chen, O. T.-C. and C.-Y. Tsai, "CPW-fed wideband printed dipole antenna for digital TV applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 4826-4830, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2165488
18. Janaswamy, R. and D. H. Schaubert, "Characteristic impedance of a wide slotline on low-permittivity substrates," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 34, 900-902, 1986. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1986.1133465