This paper introduces a flexible antenna, printed on a low-cost Polyethylene Terephtalate (PET) substrate for UHF applications. The RF characteristics of the PET substrate are examined using a microstrip resonator to characterize the substrate's relative permittivity and the loss tangent at UHF band. The PET substrate is used to print an antenna designed to work in the 868 ISM-Band. The printing process described is carried out using a semi-industrial roll-to-roll (R2R) machine with mass production capability. The fabricated dipole antenna was mounted on cylindrical objects made from several materials such as paper and glass, and its RF characteristics were measured and discussed.
"Printed Antenna on Flexible Low-Cost PET Substrate for UHF Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 38, 129-140, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13012507
2. Forrest, S. R., "The path to ubiquitous and low-cost organic electronic appliances on plastic," Science, Vol. 428, No. 6986, 911-918, Apr. 2004.
3. Schwartz, E., "Roll to roll processing for flexible electronics,", MSE Thesis, Cornell University, May 2006.
4. Jung, M., J. Kim, J. Noh, N. Lim, C. Lim, G. Lee, J. Kim, H. Kang, K. Jung, A. Leonard, J. Tour, and G. Cho, "All-printed and roll-to-roll-printable 13.56 MHz-operated 1-bit RF tag on plastic foils," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 57, No. 3, 571-580, Mar. 2010. doi:10.1109/TED.2009.2039541
5. Wang, L., Y. Guo, B. Salam, and C. W. A. Lu, "A flexible modified dipole antenna printed on PET film," 2012 IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 239-240, Singapore, Aug. 27-29, 2012.
6. Yang, L., A. Rida, R. Vyas, and M. Tentzeris, "RFID tag and RF structures on a paper substrate using inkjet-printing technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 12, 2894-2901, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.909886
7. Georgiadis, A., A. Collado, S. Kim, H. Lee, and M. Tentzeris, "UHF solar powered active oscillator antenna on low cost flexible substrate for eireless identification applications," 2012 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 2012.
8. Yoon, H. K., Y. J. Yoon, H. Kim, and C.-H. Lee, "Flexible ultra-wideband polarization diversity antenna with band-notch function," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 12, 1463-1470, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0126
9. Gupta, K., R. Garg, I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, 2nd Ed., 108-109, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1996.
10. Zou, G., H. Gronqvist, P. Starski, and J. Liu, "Charactterization of liquid crystal polymer for high frequency system-in-a-package applications," IEEE Trans. Advanced Packaging, Vol. 25, No. 4, 503-508, Nov. 2002.
11. Amin, Y., Q. Chen, H. Tenhunen, and L. R. Zheng, "Performance-optimized quadrate bowtie RFID antennas for cost-effective and eco-friendly industrial applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 49-64, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12020805