A metamaterial based electronically controlled microstrip structure, performing as leaky wave (LW) antenna with beam steering capability was synthesized. The structure has the configuration of metamaterial transmission line(TL) composed of cascade composite right- /left-handed(CRLH) unit cells. The direction of maximum radiation is tuned via the variation of varactros' capacities incorporated to the structure. Theoretical analysis and synthesis, based on the metamaterial TL theory, was made and novel methods to realize some of the elements of the units cells are proposed. Results, received via simulation, demonstrate that the LW antenna has steering capability of the direction of maximum radiation in a range of 40°, gain changing a little, 6 dB to 7 dB, during the scanning, whereas small number of cells is enough to obtain this performance.
"A Novel Microstrip Antenna Array with Metamaterial-Based Electronic Beam Steering at 2.4 GHz
," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 38, 27-42, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13020405
1. Wang, H., S. Chen, L. X. Ran, J. T. Huangfu, and J. A. Kong, "Reconfigurable cloak for multiple operating frequencies," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 4, Art. ID 043515, Jul. 2008.
2. Sievenpiper, D. F., J. H. Schaner, H. J. Song, R. Y. Loo, and G. Tangonan, "Two-dimensional beam steering using an electrically tunable impedance surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2713-2722, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817558
3. Macial, J. J., J. F. Slocum, J. K. Smith, and J. Turtle, "MEMS electronically steerable antennas for fire control radars," Proc. IEEE Radar Conf., 677-682, 2007.
4. Padilla, P., A. M. Acevedo, M. S. Castaner, and M. S. Perez, "Electronically reconfigurable transmitarray at Ku band for microwave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2571-2579, Aug. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2050426
5. Honma, T., T. Seki, K. Nishikawa, and K. Tsunekawa, "Series-fed beam-scanning array antenna comprising multi-stage configured microstrip antenna with tunable reactance devices and open stubs," IEEE International Symposium of Antennas and Propagation Society, Vol. 4, 2004.
6. Lim, S., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Electronically scanned composite right/left handed microstrip leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, 277-279, Jun. 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.828008
7. Jiang, T., Z. Wang, D. Li, J. Pan, P. Zhang, J. Huangfu, Y. Salamin, and C. Li, "Low-DC voltage-controlled steering-antenna, radome utilizing tunable active metamaterial," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theoery and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 1, 170-178, Jan. 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2171981
8. Mujumdar, M., C. Jin, and A. Alphones, "Double periodic composite right/left Handed transmission line based leaky wave antenna by singular perturbation method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 113-128, 2012.
9. Anghel, A. and R. Cacoveanu, "Improved composite right/left-handed cell for leaky-wave antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 59-69, 2011.
10. Lim, S., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Metamaterial-based electronically controlled transmission-line structure as a novel leaky-wave antenna with tunable radiation angle and beamwidth," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 1, 161-173, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.839927
11. Matsuzawa, S., K. Sato, A. Sanada, H. Kubo, and S. Aso, "Left-handed leaky wave antenna for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials, 183-186, 2005. doi:10.1109/IWAT.2005.1461043
12. Matsuzawa, S., K. Sato, Y. Inoue, and T. Nomura, "Beam steering left-handed leaky wave antenna for millimeter wave applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, Vol. 1A, 709-712, 2005.
13. Caloz, C., T. Itoh, and A. Rennings, "CRLH metamaterials leaky-wave antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 5, 25-39, Oct. 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4674709
14. Lai, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, 34-50, Sep. 2004. doi:10.1109/MMW.2004.1337766
16. Gevorgian, S. S., T. Martinsson, P. L. Linner, and E. L. Kollberg, "CAD models for multilayered substrate interdigital capacitors," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 44, No. 6, 896-904, Jun. 1996. doi:10.1109/22.506449