In this paper, reflectarrays mounted on or embedded in cylindrical and spherical surfaces are designed, analyzed, and simulated at 11.5 GHz for satellite applications. A unit cell consists of a square dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) mounted on or embedded in metallic conformal ground plane is investigated. The radiation characteristics of the designed reflectarrays are investigated and compared with that of planar reflectarray. A 13 x 13 planar reflectarray antenna on the x-y plane was designed. By varying the length of the DRA element between 2 mm and 6.2 mm a full range from 0° to 360° phase shift can be obtained. The size of each element is equivalent to a compensation phase shift. A maximum directivity of 24.3 dB was achieved while the side lobes were below -12.94 dB in E-plane and -15.79 dB in the H-plane for planar reflectarray. A Full-wave analysis using the finite integration technique (FIT) is applied. The results are validated by comparing with that calculated by transmission line method (TLM).
Hend Abd El-Azem Malhat,
"Dielectric Resonator Antenna Reflectarrays Mounted on OR Embedded in Conformal Surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 38, 115-128, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13022406
1. Josefsson, L. and P. Persson, Conformal Array Antenna Theory and Design, IEE Press Series on Electromagnetic Wave Theory, Wiley-Interscience, 2006. doi:10.1002/047178012X
2. Huang, J. and J. A. Encinar, Reflectarray Antennas, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Hoboken, , NJ, USA, 2007. doi:10.1002/9780470178775
3. Zainud-Deen, S. H., E. Abd, A. A. Mitkees, and A. A. Kishk, "Design of dielectric resonator reflectarray using full-wave analysis," National Radio Science Conference, 1-9, Egypt, 2009.
4. Cadoret, D., L. Marnat, R. Loison, R. Gillard, H. Legay, and B. Salome, "A dual linear polarized printed reflectarray using slot loaded patch elements," The 2nd European Conference Antenna and Propagation, 1-5, 2007.
6. Abbosh, A. M., "Design of dual-band microstrip reflectarray using single layer multiresonance double cross elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 67-74, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL09111612
7. Ren, L.-S., Y.-C. Jiao, F. Li, J.-J. Zhao, and G. Zhao, "A novel double-petal loop element for broadband reflectarray," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 157-163, 2011.
8. Zubir, F., M. K. Abd Rahim, O. B. Ayop, and H. A. Majid, "Design and analysis of microstrip reflectarray antenna with Minkowski shape radiating element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 24, 317-331, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10071208
9. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, G. D'Elia, and A. Liseno, "Fast phase-only synthesis of conformal re°ectarrays," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 12, 1989-2000, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0640
10. Tienda, C., et al. "Analysis of a dual-reflect array antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, 1636-1645, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0444
11. Zainud-Deen, S. H., Hend A. Malhat, and K. H. Awadalla, "Dielectric resonator antenna mounted on a circular cylindrical ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 19, 427-444, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB09123003
12. Zainud-Deen, S. H., Hend A. Malhat, and K. H. Awadalla, "Mutual coupling reduction in dielectric resonator antenna arrays embedded in a circular cylindrical ground plane," Progress In Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 25, No. 12, 1129-1135, December 2010.
13. Dzulkipli, I., M. H. Jamaluddin, R. Ngah, M. R. Kamarudin, N. Seman, and M. K. Abd Rahim, "Mutual coupling analysis using fdtd for dielectric resonator antenna reflectarray radiation prediction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 41, 121-136, 2012.
14. Jamaluddin, M. H., R. Sauleau, X. Castel, R. Benzerga, L. Le Coq, R. Gillard, and T. Koleck, "Design, fabrication and characterization of a dielectric resonator antenna reflectarray in Ka-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 261-275, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10071306
15. Nayeri, P., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Radiation characteristics of conformal reflectarray antennas," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation,, Spokane, WA, July 2011.
16. Weiland, T., "A discretization method for the solution of Maxwell's equations for six-component fields," AEU Electronics and Communications, Vol. 31, No. 3, 116-120, March 1977.
17. Christopoulos, C., The Transmission Line Modeling Method, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., 1995. doi:10.1109/9780470546659
18. Zhou, X. and G. W. Pan, "Application of physical spline finite element method (PSFEM) to full wave analysis of waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 19-41, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05081102