A stereo-synthetic aperture radar (stereo-SAR) technique is proposed to estimate the terrain height of a target area. A reference point with known altitude is located within the target area to calibrate the height estimation. The estimated height error can be reduced to one meter. This method requires the processing techniques of conventional SAR, while achieving a fairly fine resolution in height estimation for practical applications.
"Terrain Height Estimation Using a Stereo-SAR Technique Aided by a Reference Point," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 31, 1-11, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM13031909
1. Stimson, G. W., Introduction to Airborne Radar, 2nd Ed., SciTech, 1998.
2. Soumekh, M., Synthetic Aperture Radar Signal Processing with MATLAB Algorithms, Wiley-Interscience, 1999.
3. Cumming, I. G. and F. H. Wong, "Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data Algorithms and Implementation," Artech House, 2005.
5. Chen, L.-C., T.-A. Teo, and C.-L. Liu, "The geometrical comparisons of RSM and RFM for FORMOSAT-2 satellite images," Photogram. Eng. Remote Sens., Vol. 72, No. 5, 573-579, May 2006.
6. Hu, Y. and C.-V. Tao, "Updating solutions of the rational function model using additional control information," Photogram. Eng. Remote Sens, Vol. 68, No. 7, 715-723, Jul. 2002.
7. Reinartz, P., R. Muller, M. Lehner, and M. Schroeder, "Accuracy analysis for DSM and orthoimages derived from SPOT HRS stereo data using direct georeferencing," ISPRS J. Photogram. Remote Sens., Vol. 60, 160-169, Jul. 2006.
8. Weser, T., F. Rottensteiner, J. Willneff, J. Poon, and C. S. Fraser, "Development and testing of a generic sensor model for pushbroom satellite imagery," Photogram. Eng. Remote Sens., Vol. 71, No. 11, 1321-1327, Nov. 2005.
9. Grodecki, J. and G. Dial, "Block adjustment of high-resolution satellite-images described by rational polynomials," Photogram. Eng. Remote Sens., Vol. 69, No. 1, 59-68, Jan. 2003.
10. Toutin, T. and R. Chenier, "3-D radargrammetric modeling of RADARSAT-2 ultrafine mode: Preliminary results of the geometric calibration," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 3, 611-615, Jul. 2009. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2009.2024391
11. Davis, C. H., H. Jiang, and X. Wang, "Modeling and estimation of the spatial variation of elevation error in high resolution DEMs from stereo-image processing," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 39, No. 11, 2483-2489, Nov. 2001. doi:10.1109/36.964985
12. Miyazaki, Y., T. Osani, and H. Watanabe, "Digital terrain model of JERS-1 data for ASTER VNIR stereo application," IEEE Int. Geosci. Remote Sens. Symp., Vol. 1, 131-133, Aug. 1993.
13. Kenyi, L. W., R. Dubayah, M. Hofton, and M. Schardt, "Comparative analysis of SRTMVNED vegetation canopy height to LIDAR-derived vegetation canopy metrics," Int. J. Remote Sens., Vol. 30, No. 11, 2797-2811, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1080/01431160802555853
14. Brown, C. G., K. Sarabandi, and L. E. Pierce, "Model-based estimation of forest canopy height in red and Austrian pine stands using shuttle radar topography mission and ancillary data: A proof-of-concept study," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 3, 1105-1118, Mar. 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2009.2031635
15. Garestier, F., P. D. Fernandez, X. Dupuis, P. Paillou, and I. Hajnsek, "PolInSAR analysis of X-band data over vegetated and urban areas," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 44, No. 2, 356-364, Feb. 2006. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2005.862525
16. Tan, L. and R. Yang, "Investigation on tree height retrieval with polarimetric SAR interferometry," IEEE Int. Geosci. Remote Sens. Symp., 546-549, Jul. 2008.
17. Solberg, S., D. J. Weydahl, and E. Masset, "Simulating X-band interferometric height in a spruce forest from airborne laser scanning," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 9, 3369-3378, Sep. 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2010.2046493
18. Tsai, S.-C. and J.-F. Kiang, "Floating dropsondes with DGPS receiver for real-time typhoon monitoring," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 11, 4363-4373, Nov. 2011. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2011.2144608
19. Buckreuss, S., R. Werninghaus, and W. Pitz, "German satellite mission TerraSAR-X," IEEE Aero. Electron. Syst. Mag., Vol. 24, No. 11, 4-9, Nov. 2009. doi:10.1109/MAES.2009.5344175