A novel dual-polarized dipole antenna with compact size is presented for wireless communication applications. The proposed antenna is composed of a dual-polarized cross dipole, a small-sized tapered reflector, a square patch director, and an octagon ring as a parasitic element. Low VSWRs (<1.5) are achieved in aimed operating band of 2500-2690 MHz at both ports, which can cover the LTE2600 frequency band. High port isolation (>38 dB) and symmetric broadside radiation patterns are also achieved. Two dual-polarized reference antennas are also developed. Contrast results show that the proposed antenna can obtain improved radiation patterns compared with the reference antennas. Moreover, the proposed antenna is very compact in size (0.52λ0×0.52λ0×0.32λ0, λ0 refers to the center frequency of operating band), which achieves about 20% size reduction than Ref 2. Experimental results are also carried out to verify the simulation analysis.
"A Novel Dual-Polarized Dipole Antenna with Compact Size for Wireless Communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 40, 217-227, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13041610
1. Lindmark, B. and M. Nilsson, "On the available diversity gain from different dual-polarized antennas," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 19, No. 2, 287-294, Feb. 2001. doi:10.1109/49.914506
2. Wong, H., K.-L. Lau, and K.-M. Luk, "Design of dual-polarized L-probe patch antenna arrays with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 1, 45-52, Jan. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.822402
4. Gao, S., L. W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "A broadband dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna with aperture coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 4, 898-900, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811080
5. Moradi, K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11111610
6. Xie, J.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, J. Ren, and T. Wang, "A wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with electric probe and magnetic loop," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 499-515, 2012.
7. Luo, K., W. Ding, Y. Hu, and W. Cao, "Design of dual-feed dual-polarized microstrip antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 36, 31-40, 2013.
8. Wang, X.-M., Z.-B. Weng, Y.-C. Jiao, Z. Zhang, and F.-S. Zhang, "Dual-polarized dielectric resonator antenna with high isolation using hybrid feeding mechanism for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 195-203, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10101005
9. Li, R. L., T. Wu, B. Pan, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Equivalent-circuit analysis of a broadband printed dipole with adjusted integrated balun and an array for base station applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 2180-2184, Jul. 2009.
10. Higgins, T. P. and T. Falls, "Dual polarized cross bow tie dipole antenna having integrated airline feed,", US Patent 6028563, NJ, Feb. 2000.
11. Suh, S.-Y., W. Stutzman, W. Davis, A. Waltho, K. Skeba, and J. Schiffer, "A novel low-profile, dual-polarization, multi-band base-station antenna element --- The fourpoint antenna," IEEE VTC 60th Vehicular Technology Conference, Vol. 1, 225-229, Sep. 2004.
12. Su, D., J. J. Qian, H. Yang, and D. Fu, "A novel broadband polarization diversity antenna using a cross-pair of folded dipoles," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 433-435, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.860191
13. Wu, B. Q. and K.-M. Luk, "A broadband dual-polarized magnetoelectric dipole antenna with simple feeds," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 60-63, 2009.