This paper discusses an improved in-situ immunity measurement test bench of a microcontroller -PIC18F458 to conducted continuous wave interference (CWI). The updated measurement algorithm gives more accurate measurement result. Compared with normal failure criterion, the DC shift failure criterion is adopted because it gives better description of the immunity behavior of the microcontroller. Finally, the susceptibility results are explained in detail.
"Improved Immunity Measurement of a Microcontroller to Conducted Continuous Wave Interference," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 31, 117-127, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM13041902
1. IEC EMC Task Force, "Direct RF power injection to measure the immunity against conducted RF-disturbances of integrated circuits up to 1 GHz,", IEC Draft Tech. Rep., IEC 62132-3, Aug. 2001. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2008.918983
2. Chahine, I., M. Kadi, E. Gaboriaud, A. Louis, and B. Mazari, "Characterization and modeling of the susceptibility on integrated circuits to conducted electromagnetic disturbance up to 1 GHz," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 50, No. 2, 285-293, May 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-smt:20060142
3. Chahine, I., M. Kadi, E. Gaboriaud, X. Gallenne, A. Louis, and B. Mazari, "Enhancement of accuracy for measuring the susceptibility of integrated circuits to conducted electromagnetic disturbances," IET Sci. Meas. Technol., Vol. 1, No. 5, 240-244, Sep. 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20073130
4. Boyer, A., E. Sicard, and S. Bendhia, "Characterization of electromagnetic susceptibility of integrated circuits using near-field scan," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 1, 15-16, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2007.911920
5. Alaeldine, A., R. Perdriau, M. Ramdani, J. Levant, and M. Drissi, "A direct power injection model for immunity prediction in integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 50, No. 2, 52-62, Feb. 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB11020802
6. Paez, E., C. Tremola, and M. A. Azpurua, "A proposed method for quantifying uncertainty in RF immunity testing due to EUT presence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 175-190, 2011. doi:10.1109/81.989173
7. Fiori, F. and P. S. Crovetti, "Nonlinear effects of radio-frequency interference in operational amplifier," IEEE Trans. on Circuits Syst. I, Vol. 49, No. 3, 367-372, Mar. 2002.
8. Wan, F., F. Duval, X. Savatier, A. Louis, and B. Mazari, "Study of susceptibility of an MCU control system in the automotive field," Asia-Pacific Int. Symp. on EMC, 610-613, Beijing, China, Apr. 2010.
9. Sketoe, J. G., Integrated Circuit Electromagnetic Immunity Handbook, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Marshall Space Flight Center , 2000.
10. Boyer, A., S. Bendhia, and E. Sicard, "Modeling of a mixed signal processor susceptibility to near-field aggression," IEEE Symp. on EMC, 1-5, Honolulu, USA, Jul. 2007. doi:10.1016/j.microrel.2009.06.013
11. Gros, J.-B., G. Duchamp, A. Meresse, and J.-L. Levant, "Electromagnetic immunity model of an ADC for microcontroller's reliability improvement," Micro. Rel., Vol. 49, No. 9-11, 963-966, Sep. 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2010.2988
12. Wan, F., F. Duval, X. Savatier, A. Louis, and B. Mazari, "Effects of conducted electromagnetic interference on an analog-to-digital converter," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 1, 23-25, Jan. 23-25, 2011.
13. Redoute, J. and M. Steyaert, EMC of Analog Integrated Circuits, Springer, Berlin, 2009. doi:10.1007/b137864
14. Bendhia, S., M. Ramdani, and E. Sicard, Electromagnetic Compatibility of Integrated Circuits, Techniques for Low Emission and Susceptibility, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 2006.