This letter presents the design of a novel wideband omnidirectional antenna with the usable bandwidth enhanced. The antenna is designed for wireless applications and proposed to operate within WLAN (2.4 GHz-2.484 GHz) and WiMAX (2.3 GHz, 2.5 GHz and 3.5 GHz) frequency bands. The bandwidth is enhanced through the use of balun, while the radiation patterns remain stable. This antenna has a much wider VSWR band (47.5% for VSWR < 2) with high radiation pattern stability compared with printed dipole antennas. Details of design, simulated and experimental results of this omnidirectional antenna are presented and discussed. The measured results confirm the validity of this design which meet the requirement of wireless applications.
"Novel Wideband Omnidirectional Antenna for Wireless Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 40, 257-267, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13050401
3. Herscovici, N., Z. Sipus, and P.-S. Kildal, "The cylindrical omnidirectional patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, 1746-1753, Dec. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.982455
4. Jayakumar, I., R. Garg, B. K. Sarap, and B. Lal, "A conformal cylindrical array for producing omnidirectional radiation pattern," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, 1258-1261, Oct. 1986.
5. Chen, Y., W. Hong, X. Zhu, and Z. Kuai, "A new printed dipole array omnidirectional antenna with bandwidth enhancement," Proceedings of International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics (ISSSE2010), 1-3, 2010.
6. Zhang, Y., J. Qiu, W. Guo, and C. Yang, "Novel ultra-wide band omni-directional dipole antenna," International Conference on Microwave and Milimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-4, 2012.
7. Ma, C., Z. Kuai, X. Zhu, and C. Liu, "A parallel feeding omnidirectional array antenna," 2012 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, 2012. doi:10.1109/APS.2012.6348474
8. Wei, K. P., Z. J. Zhang, and Z. H. Feng, "Design of a dualband omnidirectional planar microstrip antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 101-120, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112101
9. Saghati, A. P., M. Azarmanesh, and R. Zaker, "A novel switchable single- and multifrequency triple-slot antenna for 2.4 GHz bluetooth, 3.5 GHz WiMax, and 5.8 GHz WLAN," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 534-537, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2051401
10. Hu, W., Y.-Z. Yin, P. Fei, and X. Yang, "Compact triband square-slot antenna with symmetrical L-strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 462-465, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2154372
11. Li, J.-Y. and Y.-B. Gan, "Multi-band characteristic of open sleeve antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 135-148, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05090301
12. Alkanhal, M. A. S., "Composite compact triple-band microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 221-236, , 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09050407
13. Constantine, A. B., "Antenna Theory Analysis and Design," John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2005.